Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased GL1500 250000 kM never crashed Bike runs left
if you release the bars. New tyres, no freeplay in forks, steering head, swing arm or wheel bearings. Fork leg to calliper mount clearance set by the book. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Check rear swing arm for play.....

Mark

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are your saddle bags/trunk loads equal/centered so as not to make one side heavier, or do you tend to sit off center while riding? Perhaps the crown of the roadway results in a slight lean on the bike to keep it vertical.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If all checks well, and not trying to be abusive here, why would one ever release the bars????
That is what those that have the decel wobble on 1800's say, "when I release my grip...."
Is it a problem when riding w/the normal hands on?
My Harley Ultra required light constant input to keep it straight but, it has all that weight of the primary case and contents hanging off the left side!

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I'd check the rear more carefully first as W1ingint mentions. Welcome along mate!

·
Registered
654 Posts
250,000 klm's?
Maybe the swingarm is flexing/weak from rusting internally.You wouldn't feel it checking for looseness in the brgs.Wouldn't be the first one.Just a thought.

·
Registered
718 Posts
One way to check the rear wheel to front wheel alignment is to place a jack stand in front of your bike, one on each side of the front wheel. Take a string, tie it to one stand and run the string around the back rear wheel and back up the other side to the other stand and pull the stands back to make them snug. This will give you a straight line provided your not touching anything else on the bike. Now with the front wheel straight ahead, move each stand inward until the string just touches the front side of the rear wheel. Do this to the other side, making sure that the string just touches and does not deflect. This should give you two parallel lines in which to measure. Measure the distance from each side of the front wheel. Now this is where I'm not quite sure if you should have any offset between the front and the rear, I suspect that both wheels should be in line and the measurement should be the same on both sides of the front wheel. If they are not the same, you my have a problem with a worn swingarm/bushing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts