Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 86 Interstate, the problem I have is that after a good run the bike quite often won't start due to the battery going flat, is it a case of getting a new battery or will I need to get a new/upgrade the stator

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What do you consider a good run?? If it's a couple hour and then it won't start I would guess it's the battery. If the stator is bad and you are running with the headlight on you won't get very far. You can put a volt meter on the battery and check the volts with the bike running.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Having had three of them go sideways on my '84, I'd say it's a good bet the stator could be bad. Usually though if the stator is cooked, it won't fire up again anyway unless you put in a fresh fully charged battery, and then it's just a very short matter of time before it ruins that one. If it is indeed the stator (check the voltage with the bike running as Joe suggested) then change it out or do an alternator conversion. If you stay with the stator replacement, make sure to solder and wrap all connections to get better current protection. Then install an inline voltmeter so you can monitor what's going on with your bikes electrical system. It won't keep a stator from failing again, but it will save you from being stranded on the road with no juice at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an 84 Aspencade that is down right now due to the stator not functioning correctly. I was lucky to get it home. I was in Utah getting back to San Antonio,TX. I had rewired the three yellow wires sitting on the side of the road. I had carried a battery booster and a charger with me. The booster got it started and got me to a town. From there on I stopped every 80-100 miles, put the battery on the charger for about an hour, then another 80-100 miles. What you could call "forced rest stops"...When I hit the motels, it got a good overnight charge...It got me home, but havn't delt with the problem yet...Still undecided to go with new stock stator or go with the conversion. Since I am not a mechanic, I gotta pay someone to do this, so still down right now. Maybe after the new year, I will deal with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am just about done putting a new stator in my '84 aspencade... I looked at the conversion kits, but in my opion I like the original stator. Thats just my opion there is a lot of people that like the conversion kits..

·
Registered
89 Posts
stator

Hillstgas, did you find out anything?? Did you check the connector on the 3 yellow wires to see if they are cooked?? Ck voltage with engine running?? Find out anything??? If you still have that connector, you need to bypass it completely regardless of what else you find out, because it will fry eventually if you or someone before you hasn't eliminated it and hardwired around it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts