Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 1986 Aspy I just bought I took a hard lood at the 3 prong plug next to the battery. It had the telltale corrosion starting to build on the male ends of the plug just as descibed by many other wingers out there. I went ahead and added 4 inches of wire to make up the amount of extra slack I needed and soldered them as advised on the message board and put on heat shrink tubing over all 6 solder connections. I showed about 15 VDC on the terminals on the battery when the bike is started up and running at about 3000 RPM. I am having this nagging problem with a high idle. Usually when I see something like this I think of a pretty good vacuum leak. I haven't been able to adjust the main idle screw down to solve the high idle and I have slack in both sides of the throttle cables. So neither 1 of these things are causing the problem. I see on the right side there are 2 philips head screws that are attached to the spring on the throttle butterflies. Are these for syncing up the carbs only or do they in any way adjust idle speed? Another question I have is about the screws under the bowls of the carbs, I understand these are adjusted 3 and a half turns out for a starting point. do I adjust these to bring down the idle speed or do I need to chase this through a vacuum leak or an adjustment somewhere else? Thanx for the help guys. Oldsdroptop

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi oldsdrop, before going any further on your hi idle,get the carbs syncronized properly. the small screws you mention are the snyc adjustment screws. if only one carb is set to high, the idle will preform like yours is doing. 2 turns out is the initial setting on the carb air screws. good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
hi oldsdrop, before going any further on your hi idle,get the carbs syncronized properly. the small screws you mention are the snyc adjustment screws. if only one carb is set to high, the idle will preform like yours is doing. 2 turns out is the initial setting on the carb air screws. good luck
2580 is right on te money--but you also need a vacume dial set --4 dials to correctly set all the carbs as they are running this will insure they are all correctly set for optium performance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts