Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the stator in my 86' Wing. Can anybody point me towards a good resource for helping me get the procedures for doing something like this? I'm a good mechanic but have only owned my wing for a short time and I'm unsure about this repair.
Thanks for any help you can give this new Wing owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a website with lots of resources for DIY mx on your Goldwing and any other GW's. It's (Goldwingdocs.com). You have to register and there are no fees ,dues or any charges, the manuals and Service Bulletins are FREE. I have got all kinds of stuff for my 1990 Standard. A great website resource.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one more question for you guys. When I took the side cover off my 86 SEi I noticed the three yellow wires going to the stator had been spliced before and had burnt off. There was no connector. I was going to try to just splice them together and start the bike up to see if the stator was indeed burnt out but I cannot tell which wire went to which. I looked at the wiring diagram and it does not indicate which one goes where. I am just wondering if it matters. Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Order not important, good solder is though.

The order does not matter because it is an alternator and the voltage produced by the rotor/stator combination alternates from one leg (yellow wire) to the next during operation. Whoever tried to fix the stator connection problem screwed it up. Most people cut out the OEM connectors and solder the wires together to eliminate the hot spot problem. Probably had cold solder joints that came apart. Use a high wattage solder gun/iron to heat up those large diameter wires so that you get good solid solder joints and all should be well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. That all makes sense. I will check for the continuity and that should tell me if she is fried inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay. So I tested it and there is continuity between each wire going to the stator. That should mean the stator is okay and did not burn out correct? The connections (which looks like they were just crimped together) were the ones that failed. Am I thinking right here guys?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, that is good that there is continuity between the wires. Make sure there is no continuity between the wires and ground. If all checks good then after you solder the wires back together (but before you heat shrink the connection) you can test the voltage output of the stator.

You may also want to follow those wires from the stator all the way up to the voltage regulator/rectifier and check the status of the connections there also. Some folks have discovered burned connectors at that point too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi saw. a better check on your stator is to check AC voltage. use your meter in ac voltage setting. with the engine running, touch 1 yellow wire at a time with the positive test lead. rev the motor to approx 3500 rpms an observe voltage output. 45 AC volts would indicate a healthy stator,anything lower than 25 would indicate a stator going down hill. test all 3 yellow wires an voltage should all be very close to each other. this test is done with the three yellow wires disconnected from the m/cycle. merry christmas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news guys! I soldered the wires together and fired her up. Voltage is holding at around 12.2 volts at an idle and runs up there to about 13.8 when at higher RPM's. That means she is working just fine. Thanks for the advice guys....you saved me a good lot of money!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely fantastic! It is a good time to be a Goldwing owner. Glad that everything worked out in your favor. I understand that replacing the stator isn't the funnest thing to do. I went the external alternator route so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Absolutely fantastic! It is a good time to be a Goldwing owner. Glad that everything worked out in your favor. I understand that replacing the stator isn't the funnest thing to do. I went the external alternator route so I don't have to deal with it anymore.
I am looking at buying an 86 that has this same problem. What is involved in the external set up. How much is the cost ? Thanks to everyboby for the help. I found this site on a google search and it's very helpfull. Earthpig......:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is a link to Don "Poorboy" Pigott's website that has some pictures an instructions. He is the one that sells a kit or individual parts for doing the conversion.

http://home.comcast.net/~rkekeis/Alternator/alternator.htm

There is a site just for GL1200's that has a lot of great info on this also.

http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/index.php
Hey thanks for the info. That looks easy to do and makes a good upgrade. What year and size alt. is used in this conversion.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its reassuring to see such good advice being given about the stator problem and the interest being shown. Its a common problem on the older wings and as the saying goes
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" in this case saving the stator
from burn out. It would be great to have a list of known weak points for
all years and models of GW's so an owner could refer to the list for his particular year,or before purchasing the next GW a buyer could check out the list. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts