Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reviewing motor vehicle laws in several states and Tennessee doesn't allow TV type devices in the drivers field of vision. I use my GPS constantly whether on the bike or in the car. INTERESTING! What is the law in your state?

G

·
Hi Santini,
In NJ you could get a ticket in a car with GPS for obstructing your visibility. Nothing should be attached to your windshield ANYWHERE unless is state issued. The handlebars on your bike cannot be higher then your shoulders and you must wear a DOT approved helmet which in addition must have 3 reflecting stickers one on each side and one on the back. However these laws are not enforced unless one is dumb enough to argue with the cop.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Santini,
In NJ you could get a ticket in a car with GPS for obstructing your visibility. Nothing should be attached to your windshield ANYWHERE unless is state issued. The handlebars on your bike cannot be higher then your shoulders and you must wear a DOT approved helmet which in addition must have 3 reflecting stickers one on each side and one on the back. However these laws are not enforced unless one is dumb enough to argue with the cop.
I was surprised to find that Tennessee doesn't allow a GPS where the driver can see it, regardless of whether it is mounted on the windshield or not.

G

·
Santini, I dont think GPS is Tv "like" devise. Is more like an instrument. The first kind is one that plays video. The main concern for some states is for the driver to be able to properly see thru the windshield and in case of an accident not to get hit in the face by the windshield fastened object. I don’t think anyone will give you a ticket if you secure your gps anywhere in the car without obstructing your visibility. In my opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
We have a new law here called "distracted driving" that can apply to just about anything a Leo wants it to. Cell phones (good), texting (very good), eating/drinking (not so sure there), and video devices (also very good as far as the operator goes). I suppose they could include a GPS device in that if you were busy resetting and scrolling while under way but common sense has to rule somewhere...on both sides of the issue. If you want to push the issue a rearview mirror is a distraction so.
I used to fly planes in the instrument environment and believe me, there is no-one in the world that has a heavier mental work load than an IFR pilot, and he can't even see out the cockpit window.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Santini, I dont think GPS is Tv "like" devise. Is more like an instrument. The first kind is one that plays video. The main concern for some states is for the driver to be able to properly see thru the windshield and in case of an accident not to get hit in the face by the windshield fastened object. I don’t think anyone will give you a ticket if you secure your gps anywhere in the car without obstructing your visibility. In my opinion.
My bad! Didn't think about the player, but I guess if they wanted to get technical a GPS does have a screen. Where is our Tennessee members? ? We need the skinny on this!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree w/banning any electronic device that distracts the driver of any vehicle! This includes any device w/a screen, also any device that requires hand(s) to be removed from the steering wheel/handle bars to operate (Yep-includes CB's!).
I have investigated several accidents that were caused by the drivers attention being diverted "only for a second"(yeah-right!)
One of the all time best one was the guy using his lap top while motoring down the I-State @ 75mph!
By the way-being a LEO-I will warn you to watch for the Po-Po cars as they are near you. Unbelievable the number officers I observed "working" their Mobile Data Devices (on board computers, from which they now receive "calls", functions as a GPS to direct them to a call, message the dispatcher and fellow officers, etc. etc.) All while moving along the road, not to mention how many are observed constantly talking on their cell phones.

G

·
This goes to an extreme. There are many things, in a car, you have to remove your hands to operate: wind shield wiper, blower, adjusting temp, stick shift etc. Using common sense is best. The worst thing ,I think, is texting while driving.

·
Registered
740 Posts
FEDERAL law states that no vehicle shall have a tv in the drivers view on interstates. Personaly I think this is a good thing as WE the motorcycle riders are the ones they say they do not see!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I can't tell you the countless times I've watched another series of " Sesame Street " through the rear window of Mom's Taxi Van in front of me at a long traffic light.

·
Registered
718 Posts
1) I can't even read my text screen while bouncing around in a car or truck
2) My GPS has a setting that will not allow for changes while moving
3) Here in Ohio we enforce safety belt laws in cars and trucks, but motorcyclists do not have to wear helmets! Go figure!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Its funny we worry about texting and phone use while driving, I used to Operate a tow truck for a living for a while, they would get you completely exhausted and overworked driving a Hugh wrecker normally I would have one on the bed and one out back. I would use a two way radio to speak with dispatch, a Cb to talk with AAA,
a Cell to call customers, all while writing down notes and driving at the same time.
that was a crazy job very fast paced, they would get you so tired you wouldn't know which direction was north. It is a wonder you don't hear more about wrecker drivers crashing. the worst was the light service truck we would make an average of over 50 service calls per day you had to be an octopus.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Its funny we worry about texting and phone use while driving, I used to Operate a tow truck for a living for a while, they would get you completely exhausted and overworked driving a Hugh wrecker normally I would have one on the bed and one out back. I would use a two way radio to speak with dispatch, a Cb to talk with AAA,
a Cell to call customers, all while writing down notes and driving at the same time.
that was a crazy job very fast paced, they would get you so tired you wouldn't know which direction was north. It is a wonder you don't hear more about wrecker drivers crashing. the worst was the light service truck we would make an average of over 50 service calls per day you had to be an octopus.
Exactly what I was talking about in my post above:eek:

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Iron butt rides in the great state of Texas are illegal.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/do....htm#545.420.00

§ 545.420. RACING ON HIGHWAY.

(a) A person may not participate in any manner in:
(1) a race;
(2) a vehicle speed competition or contest;
(3) a drag race or acceleration contest;
(4) a test of physical endurance of the operator of a vehicle;

(2) "Race" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to:
( A ) outgain or outdistance another vehicle or prevent another vehicle from passing;
( B ) arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles; or
( C ) test the physical stamina or endurance of an operator over a long-distance driving route.

It is illegal is Oregon and Louisiana as well:

811.125 Speed racing on highway; penalty.

(1) A person commits the offense of speed racing on a highway if, on a highway in this state, the person drives a vehicle or participates in any manner in any of the following in which a vehicle is involved:
(a) A speed competition or contest.
(b) An acceleration contest.
(c) A test of physical endurance.
(d) An exhibition of speed or acceleration.
(e) The making of a speed record.
(f) A race. For purposes of this paragraph, racing is the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to out gain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long distance driving routes.

(2) The offense described in this section is a Class A traffic violation and is applicable on any premises open to the public.

Louisiana

2011 Louisiana Laws TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation RS 32:65 — Drag racing and racing on public roads and certain property; exemptions

C. For the purposes of this Section, "race" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to out gain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I started this thread I was mostly interested in the use of a " GPS " in the different States .... also windshields or protective eyewear .... the suttle things that we here in the south may not be aware of.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
When I started this thread I was mostly interested in the use of a " GPS " in the different States .... also windshields or protective eyewear .... the suttle things that we here in the south may not be aware of.
No thread is safe!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts