Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this is the right forum but....

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder signed the Helmet Repeal Bill into law today...

requirements:

over 21, MSF class or CYCLE endorsement for a certain (?) amount of time and a $20,000 medical rider on your insurance...

will I ride without a helmet? sometimes. i rarely put one on if im running to up and down the street while working on my bike and if i go to a bike gathering (with SLOW SPEED cruising) or a parade, probably not but on the way there and while commuting, definitely....

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
the guys at work were talking abot the repeal at lunch time. when does it take effect

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It went into effect immediately upon signing....

I've seen probability a dozen bikes out in the last 345 minutes but only one without a helmet...

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
well i won't be riding today. my 1200 wing is locked in my neighbors garage and she's not home. my buddy is putting timing belts on my 1500 wing and i've already dropped off the bike so he can do the work

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
The one go down I had on a bike, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I wouldn't be here today. For myself when the bike is on the road the Helmet is on.
To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
The one go down I had on a bike, if I hadn't been wearing a helmet, I wouldn't be here today. For myself when the bike is on the road the Helmet is on.
To each his own.
i am in agreement with you for the same reason ron. don't think that the law was repealed for us in michigan it was repealed for you guys from out of state, now you won't have to buy a helmet to visit the state of michigan

·
Registered
38 Posts
helmet laws

I don't need someone to protect me from myself. There are times I prefer to not wear a helmet, quicky trips to the store don't really need a helmet ect. I think Wa. state has a law for picking your nose and it's probably a felony. So who or what do we write to and try and enact change, Doug1500 (BA) BA stands for BAD ATTITUDE.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
i hear you doug to wear or not to wear a helmet should be a personal choice. when i was a kid with a dirt bike i never wore a helmet but now days i know i want to wear my helmet

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't need to government to tell me how to run my life STAY OUT! BUT for me I always wear one even if there isn't that much there LOL!. I've had enough accidents on bike over the years not to take a chance. Now I'm not a Helmet Nazi thought if I'm running 3 doors down to my Harley friends house I will go head Naked. At the end of the day it's your choice not the Gov to live life like you want.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
im not sure if this is the right forum but....

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder signed the Helmet Repeal Bill into law today...

requirements:

over 21, MSF class or CYCLE endorsement for a certain (?) amount of time and a $20,000 medical rider on your insurance...

will I ride without a helmet? sometimes. i rarely put one on if im running to up and down the street while working on my bike and if i go to a bike gathering (with SLOW SPEED cruising) or a parade, probably not but on the way there and while commuting, definitely....
Congratulations Michigan ! Common consensus prevails.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
Congratulations Michigan ! Common consensus prevails.
it wasn't common consensus that prevailed it was the mighty dollar. going helmetless lets all my friends come visit and spend their money in michigan without having to buy a helmet for the privalge of crossing the border

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
it wasn't common consensus that prevailed it was the mighty dollar. going helmetless lets all my friends come visit and spend their money in michigan without having to buy a helmet for the privalge of crossing the border
I was just looking at the Helmet Law By State map. It looks like you are surrounded by Helmet required for young riders states. http://www.iihs.org/laws/mapmotorcyclehelmets.aspx

·
Registered
306 Posts
Here in Myrtle Beach the city passed a helmet law to try and keep the bikers out. The law was overturned by the state because SC already has a helmet law for 21 and under. In the end everyone that was ticketed received a refund. I always wear mine, I feel naked without it. Also it keeps the top of my head from getting 3rd degree sunburn.
I like the Gmax with the built in sunglasses, it also has lots of venting and room for speakers it needed.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
All of Canada is mandatory helmets. I/ve gone sans-lid a few times even here, and a couple time in the States when younger. Not anymore though. I'm a helmet wearer 100% and have been for over 20 years. But I don't do it because some doofus beurocrat signed a paper, I choose to on my own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't need to government to tell me how to run my life STAY OUT! BUT for me I always wear one even if there isn't that much there LOL!. I've had enough accidents on bike over the years not to take a chance. Now I'm not a Helmet Nazi thought if I'm running 3 doors down to my Harley friends house I will go head Naked. At the end of the day it's your choice not the Gov to live life like you want.
Nohandles; All threads so far seem to feel the same, essentially saying, we should have the right to choose to weart our brain bucket or not. Idaho and Montana have no helmet law. Doug1500

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes it should be a personal choice, probationary new riders under 18 should be required, or should it be 21 since they can't even have a beer until age 21. But then almost every state has seat belt laws, so why require helmet use when you can't operate a car without a seat belt fastened.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
the feds make seat belts mandatory and if your state is not in compliance your state will not receive any highway funding or if seat belt usage fall below a certan percentage highway funding will be reduced. helmet laws are set by the state

·
Registered
674 Posts
I rode for many years without a helmet once Florida ( Allowed ) us not to wear one.
I now wear a helmet as long as my neck is feeling up to it. Not because I feel safe with it on if I crash. I wear it to prevent a crash. Many times I have been hit in the face with rocks,bugs, hail etc and let me tell you a quarter size bee hitting you stinger first in the face at 70 mph really sucks.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
i was listening to the news earlier today and they were talking about the repeal of the helmet law. the reporter asked why it was repleaed and the answer from the state rep was " michigan is loosing out on $xxxx every year in tourism dollars

·
Registered
718 Posts
The states set the drinking age, but the feds hold that almighty dollar in front of the horse cart to set the age limit to 21 if they want the dollar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.