Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my '82 GL 1100 is such a joy to ride but about 2 months ago it wouldnt start , it just clicked and clicked in the starter ..... SO I changed the starter with a New one ( $ 235 in Canada) and it went well .

However last week I went to start the bike and I inavertantley had it in 2nd or 3rd . it went clunk clunk and didnt start .
now the starter then just spins , the Honda dealer offered ideas.

Today I removed the starter again , checked out the sprocket and the chain and put it all back together .
the starter still just spins .......... I cant tell if it is spinning the sprocket inside or not
any thoughts ?
Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
you may have a bad starter clutch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i tried the oil thing ........... did a flush and then put in a light oil , I had to push start it and it ran great ,,,,,,,,,, but after a nice 50 km (30 mile ride ) ,,,,,,, the starter still sounds like it just spins I cant tell if its spinning the sproket or is it just the starter .......... the dealer suggested a Tranny pull 9hrs labour at 85 an hour .....
I am open to any other thoughts ........
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish I would have seen this post after scouring hours trying to find someone who had a similar situation. I never did, so I started by pulling the starter and taking it apart. I took the front of the starter off (the side that enters into the engine) and two gears fell out with several other metal pieces. Upon further inspection noticed that the two little gears had several missing teeth like a mountain hillbilly. Long story short i had a used spare which I took apart and cleaned. I put it back on the bike and am now experiencing the lockup syndrome which caused the first starter to break it's internal gears. Now starter motor engages when I hit start but it moves just a little and groans like there is not enough power to turn over engine. Onto the seafoam, MMO, ATF to try and fix the sticking starter clutch.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Paul, what year and model is your bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1981. This is actually a recent issue I'm dealing with. I replaced the starter and am having the same problem I was when the first starters gears broke. The best way to describe my issue is very similar to many others on-line. I hit the start button and it acts as though there is not enough power to turn over the motor. I went home for lunch today and tried to start it several times and finally bang it turned over and started quickly (this bike always starts right up until recently). I already had drained some of the oil out and added 3.5 ounces of seafoam as per the instructions (actually .5 more than I should). While running, it sounded like something was trying to catch in the motor. To me it sounded like the starter clutch trying to grab. After it warmed up it seemed to run better. I shut it off and tried starting again and it was locked up. My plan is to start it again tonight and run it longer...maybe take it for a ride.
This is a pretty nice bike only showing a little of 16k miles. It looks as though someone took pretty good care of it at least aesthetically. Hope this thing doesn't turn into a time/money pit.

I let it run on the stand for 10 minutes

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
I very much doubt you will get a response from him, as he hasn't been on since 2010.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Freewheeling Starter -

I realize this has been an older discussion but perhaps it will help someone. When the starter doesn't engage properly on an early 4 cylinder GW, your 1st option is normally to try an engine flush to revive the starter clutch.

There actually is another preemptive solution. Has any one tried this much more drastic "spray and pray" procedure to restore the starter clutch on a GL1000 or GL1100 ? It involves drilling a small 5mm hole about 15mm behind the upper rear engine case seam. This allows you to spray some (carb/brake) cleaner directly down into the spring loaded clutch rollers.

Using a breaker bar and socket to slowly rotate the crankshaft - you align each of the 3 small factory oiling holes spaced along the outer rim of the clutch assembly with the hole drilled in the engine case. As each hole is aligned, the spray cleaner is directed through a straw down into each roller. This dissolves any old sticky sludge and accumulated grit that may be preventing the starter from engaging. Naturally, if any of the clutch springs are broken or the rollers flattened, the engine must come out and the rear case removed for new parts OR unscrew the radiator cap and ride a different bike under it.:smile2:

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12909

For some reason Honda reportedly changed the starter clutch assembly on the 1984 - 1987 Goldwings and eliminated the oiling holes needed for this cleanup procedure.

Anyway over the years I've successfully been able to avoid the grief of an engine removal on a few long in the tooth GL1000/1100 bikes that had been sitting for a few years. One very nice, approx -16k mile 1978 Garage Queen with a freewheeling starter was actually given to a friend as a "you load it and it's yours. I haven't tried this (or had to) on any 1200's so I haven't verified whether this procedure can be used on the last years of the 4 cylinder bikes.

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts