Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't know I have a 84 aspencade.I just pulled the engine and changed the stator.. Now the engine is back in and the thing will not turn over. All I get is a click for the soleniod. At least that is what I think it is. When I first tried the bike it turned over, but it was slugish ( slow).I started the bike before I tore it apart it started, it ran fine but did not charge. So far I have moved the bike in gear to see if the engine turns. It does. I tried a battery from my truck thinking the battery was bad. Nothing..I cleaned the ground connection. And checked that to see if it was broke its not. I checked the cable from the starter to what looks like the soleniod. no problems there. I checked the short cable from the soleniod to the battery, no problem. Does any one have any other ideas. Please tell me its not the starter because I just got the engine back in. And I realy don't want to take it back out. I want to ride it. And the guy that owned it before me said he never had any problem with the starter. (When I checked the cables it was a ohms check.) I also but my meter on the cable going into the starer. Hit the start button and I got 11 volts that far. Any ideas.......

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy, but Are you sure it's not in gear, how about the kill switch.
Just a couple of quick ideas.
From the Northwest Corner.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I would check the starter relay and the wire's to the 30amp fuse with the starter relay. It was the first thing to play up on my 84 wing. You know your way around your bike so: trun the key on and press the starter. The relay should click as it connected and disconnected.
If it didn't click, with the ohmmetre test that you have continiulty between the two post, disconnect the wires and remove it. Now connect an ohmmetre to the two post. There should be no continuity.
If it doesn't test corectly you need a new one. the problem with mine was the wire's were corroded. Hope this helps. Eric

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
When a bike has been standing for a while, some elecrical spray in the starter button can get things going again. Maybe worth a try. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Thanks to my c.r.a.f.t. disease I don't recall if the 1200's had a sidestand safety switch or not. They can act up too.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
Thanks to my c.r.a.f.t. disease I don't recall if the 1200's had a sidestand safety switch or not. They can act up too.

No, no side stand switch on the 84s.

There might be a bad ground connection between the engine and the frame. If pulling and replacing the engine was the only thing you did, I would look at all the connections closely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like this weekend is going to be a garage one.. Thanks for all the ideas to try. I hope one of them works for me. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as of today it still does not start.. I did read on the net that you can remove the starter without removing the engine. I have not tried it yet been a little busy at work. I figure I'll pull the starter and have it checked.. Who knows I just might get lucky and not have to pull the engine..Keep your fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts