Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to the site and have appreciated all the info I have found.
I do however have a problem that I couldnt find any solutions to in your forum.
I have a 1894 GL1200 and once in a while the starter only spins?
It sounds like the chain is moving, but engine not turning over?
Might this be the starter clutch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi kk, might very well be the starter clutch. look real good at your stater while your in there, might save a motor pull later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...thats what I was thinking, but always good to have a second opinion.

Oh and by the way, Excellent sight. Have been reading a few posts for assistance with forks and final drive.

Thank you,
Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
was you bike sitting a lot? sometimes the starter clutch gets gummed up from old oil and crud collecting in there. I have heard of some people flushing the engine by using either Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the crancase for about 100 easy miles, then change oil and filter. Usually lots of bad stuff comes out. What oil do you use? I use either Rotella-T or Delo 400 15-40 from Walmart. Thicker oil, like 20w-50, makes it hard to start also. If it only does it sometimes, I would try the flush thing a couple times before removing the engine to get to the starter clutch. These bike really like to be ridden. A lot. Makes me happy!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it did sit a lot, so thats a good idea. I will give it a try before going ahead and pulling the motor.
I use a Pensol 10w30 oil.
But like I said it did sit alot so you might be right.

Thank you... Dam I like this site...Intellegent helpful people and the price is just up my ally lol.

Thanks again, you might have saved me several hours of work, and quite a few $$$$$$$$

Ken
P.S. Sorry, but what was it you flush the engine with again??
Is it an oil or detergent cleaner or both ?????????

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi,
New to the site and have appreciated all the info I have found.
I do however have a problem that I couldnt find any solutions to in your forum.
I have a 1894 GL1200 and once in a while the starter only spins?
It sounds like the chain is moving, but engine not turning over?
Might this be the starter clutch?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
You should sell this to a museum, any vehicle from the 19th century would be worth a fortune!! :) Just poking fun at your typo...;)

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
flushing the engine by using either Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the crancase for about 100 easy miles, then change oil and filter.
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

Both do a pretty good job of thinning the oil and loosening built up crud. By the end of the 100 miles, you'll probably hear some noise from the valves. Get that oil out of there. Seafoam through the fuel also removes some varnish and can stabilize fuel over the winter. You might consider it 'snake oil', but it works for me.

Check to make sure the oil you use doesn't have friction modifiers, which can ruin your wet clutch. Motorcycle oil or diesel oil works the best. Since you can get diesel oil pretty cheap, I go with that, the Delo 400, or the Rotella T 15w-40. Some like the Synthetic Rotella-T 5w-40. Costs more, lasts longer. I like to change filters at 3k anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, Ok its a 1984...And I thought parts for it were already difficult to get, I cant imagine trying to get parts for a 1894 lol.

Thank you for the advice on the oil. I also change oil and filters around the 3k mark, so will stick with reg. oil, but will do the Marvel or Seafoam to see if it fixes the problem.

As for the "Hard to find parts" My GL 1200 is a Plain Jane and have been looking for a backrest for 2 years now with no luck. I know this is the wrong area of the forum, but if anyone knows where I might find one it would be very appreciated.

Thanks again guys.
Ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having starter problems, The old starter quit and I bought a new one and a relay, but it won't turn the engine over, I'm getting elect. to the starter terminal and I took the switch apart and cleaned it. I tried shorting across the relay and the contacts in the switch, but I still get the same noise. It acts like it wants to turn butt doesn't. Any ideas? My ride is a 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100, or my push as the case may be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm having starter problems, The old starter quit and I bought a new one and a relay, but it won't turn the engine over, I'm getting elect. to the starter terminal and I took the switch apart and cleaned it. I tried shorting across the relay and the contacts in the switch, but I still get the same noise. It acts like it wants to turn butt doesn't. Any ideas? My ride is a 1981 Honda Goldwing GL1100, or my push as the case may be.
This reply might be too late, but anyway:
I would try to turn over the engine by hand first to make sure there are no other mechanical issues, like cylinder full of gas or broken belt, etc. Next check the ground cable from the battery to the frame and make sure it is really clean and making good contact. Next I might take the battery in to be checked (or just replace it) to make sure I have plenty of juice to start it. Then if you are really desperate, you can turn off the kill switch and use a jumper cable from the battery to the starter post to see if the engine spins.
Good luck and post back if you find the problem for others who might encounter the same!

·
Registered
93 Posts
KK3KS....i don't know if it is the same but i have one for an 1100. might check to see if it would fit. mine clamps to the frame rails. hit me up if interested. thanks Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I did turn it over by hand and then the starter started working. I do think I may have to replace the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok another issue with my friends 84GW. starter just starts spinning up now will not catch. all the feedback looks like it's a starter clutch. since we can't get the bike started at the moment. what's my next step in the process here? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts