Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Yesterday I accidently flicked the emergency stop in my right handlebar coming into a roundabout:eek::eek:
So I just pulled the clutch and gave it a start but nothing happened:mad:
Then I just put it in neutral and then it fired right up, why can´t I start it when it´s in gear?
I thought I was able to start it with the clutch pulled in.

Best to all

Gunnar

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i can start my 1200 wing in gear

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, in all the bikes I´ve had I´ve been able to start it up in gear if I pull the clutch but no start if the clutch isn´t pulled.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
maybe the switch for that function is bad

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
+1 on the clutch switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed thanks to you.
I put few drops of oil inside the clutch switch and that did the trick.
My wing dosen´t have any switch on the sidestsand. Maybe it got lost sometime in those 28 years.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Glad yu got it sorted Gunnar. I'd recommend using electrical contact cleaner (like Radio Shack sells) over the oil though; the oil can attract dust and other contaminants.

G

·
I think the 1800 has to be in neutral to start it, At least mine. It took me awhile to learn that , My wife pointed the solution in"troubleshooting" section of the bike book.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I think the 1800 has to be in neutral to start it, At least mine. It took me awhile to learn that , My wife pointed the solution in"troubleshooting" section of the bike book.
As long as my clutch is pulled in and the kickstand up I can start my bike in any gear.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
Glad yu got it sorted Gunnar. I'd recommend using electrical contact cleaner (like Radio Shack sells) over the oil though; the oil can attract dust and other contaminants.
do they have radio shack stores in iceland

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My 07 will start in gear as long as the clutch is engaged and the kick stand fully up. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
well fine I can see I am late to the Party.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys for all those ideas.
I took the switch apart again and cleaned it up with degreaser and then put some electric solvent in it to make the contacts work better,
But all in all the switch works great and I can start my Wing in any gear I like as long as the clutch is pulled all the way in.

Thanks

Gunnar

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Now I got curious. Does anybody have a 2008, 1800 which starts in gear with the clutch pulled ?
Mine does. I believe I have a suburban model which allows me to start the bike in any gear with the clutch disengaged. This is critical when you stall out in traffic and seconds count. Check with your Dealership. You may , in fact, have the rural model.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.