Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO of my NTM 97 gl1500 (32,000 miles)told me that he had had 2 episodes where the bike wouldn't start. He said both times he bump started it and everything was fine. He couldn't offer any insight as to the circumstance that brought it on.

So today it did it to me. The lights dimmed when the button as pressed, reverse light wouldn't come on-(neutral light was on before I tried reverse) but no start action and no reverse.

Remembering a 58 Ford I had that would have the starter lock up occasionally, I put it in 4th and rocked it backwards a few times. after 3 attempts, it started perfectly.

Thoughts? do I have a starter problem, solenoid problem,relay problem, reverse problem, gremlin problem or ??

TIA

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Check connections and check relays for the starting circuit. Intermittent electrical problems are always fun to find. The 'B' relay.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
There is a large solenoid (A) forward of the Battery that has been known to to stick. A Canadian friend of mine had his stick on a trip and shorted across the terminals to start his. Might be your problem. If your starter is not turning at all.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't have a clue on battery age. I found the B relay, but can't tell where the A relay is from the Clymer manual.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my experience, if it had to be jump started, it sounds like the battery. If you can, take it some where to get tested. Could have a bad cell. My 2 cents worth.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
doxbike,
The 'A' relay is along side the battery on the right side crammed in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts