Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 GW with 4000 miles. Had a relatively warm day today in NJ, but couldn't get it started. Basically drained the battery trying, with full choke. Is this normal in the North East in Winter?

Picked up my 1st Goldwing in August. Loving it so far. Brand new to the forum. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,894 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

It should have started, did you check the Kill Switch? It has been overlooked by many of us.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Honestly I didn't check that. Great suggestion. But embarrassingly I think I had the choke lever in the wrong position. I'm 100% sure your suggestion will come in handy at some point!

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you drained your battery trying to start it, it’s not the kill switch. When the kill switch is turned on, you get absolutely nothing, no sound, no turnover, no nothing.

Reactions: MikeyQ

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
biggest mistake I could make with my 98 goldwing if it had sat for a while..... was to touch the throttle with the choke on.... mine always had to be choked the first start of the day......... but if you touched the throttle it was flooded bigger than Dallas........... would have to wait for a couple of hours before another try could even remotely be successful.

They also tend to only fire off as you let go of the starter button. So on the next try with a well charged battery. Full choke, don't touch the throttle, and short bursts on the starter.

This was always the best way for mine......... but I know they all have their one quirks.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
OK here is the deal, I have a 99 Valkyrie which has the same issues and this is common across the board with the 1500 wings. If the battery is not 90%plus when you hit the start button it will crank and crank and crank but not start. Sound familiar? The problem is the coils are a bit weak which is not uncommon with many older bikes. If you jab the start button and release you may find it will attempt to start or at least fire. There is no choke as the carbs use an enricher which only works when the throttle is closed so it is important to try without opening the throttle. In really cold weather (under 40F) a jumper battery may be needed to get the extra pop out of those plugs. Holding the start button in normally does not work well so try quick burst as the engine will tipically fire as you release the start button then once running let it idle and offer very minor throttle increases as the engine very slowly warms. Permanent fix? New high intensity coils, On some of the 70's bikes I installed automotive coils but that is not practical here. New plugs may help but not for long as each coil fires 2 plugs so any resistance due to normal deposits is doubled.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My 98 wing would start in cold weather better if I didn't use the choke. Turned the throttle twice let it go and push the starter button and release it. Once it started I could ease the choke on a little bit. My 92 would only start oin cold weather with the choke, go figure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts