Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm new to this forum and first off want to say hi to everyone. My name is Doug and I live on the Midwest coast (Kansas City).

Right now I've got an issue with my 1980 gl1100 that just has me baffled, and I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on what might be wrong. It all started about 3 weeks ago. I went out to the garage to try to start it after sitting for the winter. It of course wouldn't start and I ran down the battery. I put a trickle charger on it and waited a couple of days. This time it wouldn't even turn over. Battery I thought. So it was off to the parts store for a replacement. 'Got that installed and it still would not turn over. The solenoid would not even click in. So I pulled the solenoid and checked continuity here at home. I was getting no continuity across the battery/starter leads when there was 12 v across the primary coil. My guess was bad solenoid. So I took it to the solenoid to my local dealers service department where they verified a bad solenoid. I got a new one, installed it, and now as soon as I press the start button, the starter engages and stays running even with the ignition switch off, the run switch off, and the main fuse pulled. i've looked at the schematic and can not figure this out

Sorry for the length of this post, but I'm truly baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
183 Posts
There may be a mechanical issue with the starter. There should be a mechanism for disengaging the starter from the engine after it starts. Also could be your new solenoid is sticking closed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
MINE DOES THIS TOO!!!

but its slightly different, once in a great while, I turn the key, and tap the starter button on my GL1000, and the starter spins without engaging anything. so the motor doesnt turn over, it just spins. and if i let off the button it keeps going until i shut it down with the key. then everything works fine.

I rebuild the electrical contacts in the hand control and inspected all the wiring and cant find anything at fault. but i DO know that ill need a new starter fairly soon becuase when the bike is warm it turns over slow.

the only thing i can think of is something inside the starter itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts