Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1984 1200 and the started will just spin and not engauge the chain for about 10 tries then it will turn over. I replaced the starter and and it still does the same thing. The starter is a direct drive and attaches right to the chain. What am I missing? How can it spin and sometimes engauge.
Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had that problem occassionally on my 78 wing, especially when the temperature was below 55 deg. I was told it was because the starter drive was gummed up or the oil was too heavy. I learned to live with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It sounds like the problem you are having is with the starter Bendix, not the starter.
the Bendix is inside the case and yes it may be gummed up but it is possible to clean it up and check for worn parts. I am unfamiliar with the year bike you have however I am sure some nice person whom has done this same job and perhaps has taken pictures of it may pipe up.you may be able to get away with removing the starter and spray some brake cleaner in the hole that the starter goes in then follow it up with some lubricant then of course an oil change. however the proper way of fixing it would be to take it apart clean and check all parts of the Bendix replace any worn parts then reassemble.

·
Registered
674 Posts
BTW welcome to our forum

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
+1 to what knelson says. Your solenoid ain't jumpin' to engage the starter gear with the flywheel. Cleaning should do it, especially the contacts in the solenoid (Bendix) if they're accessible.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Manta, some good advice above. Drop an intro in the new members section and get to know us better (and we you):D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts