Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I AINT GIVIN UP! I went back to look at that Goldwing again.
cranks like crazy when cold,when it got warmed up would not crank over. Ground a little then click click click. Battery is new but I guess it could be bad. Any usual suspects? Demons,curses,etc? Thanks sincerely Kev

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Sorry Kevin, I can't remember what year/model Wing it is. I'd load test the battery first, then move to the charging system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starter puzzle

Thanks bud, it is a 96 wing the charger is working can see lights brighten when revving off idle. Any known issues with ground points starter relays etc?Thanks Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
It sounds to me like a bad starter. You say it starts fine then when it gets hot no go right?
Is the bike getting excessively hot? If it is over heating that could be the problem.
Mark

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Kevinm: I am not saying that it is the battery, but this is what happen with my bike when I got back to Australia. The battery was only about 6 months old, but I had not being on the bike for 5 weeks. It would start cold but when you stopped for a few minutes after a bit of a run, it didn't want to turn over. So I put a volt metre on when it was hot and found the battery dropped to 8.5 volts. Not enough to start the bike. Also I found that the charge with the motor at 3000 rpms was about 13 volts. The battery was not charging properly. I took the battery of the bike and charged the battery for 6 hours. While that was happening I made an extra ground that went from the battery to a bolt close to the starter to give it the best ground while it is cranking.
For me it has been problem solve it. Now the battery charges to 14 volts at 3000 rpms. The starter is working well when the bike is hot.
Eric

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Kevin, not sure however I would sort of lean in the direction of the Starter as well. Had that happen to me before (not on the wing), changed the starter & good to go. Almost same description as what you give.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
fossil, it's a 1500 wing, they don't have stators, they have alternators and the brushes can and will wear down and stick away from the armature
Could be the starter relay.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
fossil, it's a 1500 wing, they don't have stators, they have alternators and the brushes can and will wear down and stick away from the armature
Could be the starter relay.
Joe,
I said Starter not stator & I had one that would not work when bike got warmed up. Don't know why but changed it & never had another issue.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Im only posting this as a newbie that can be told to shut up but here goes.

Experience...aircraft mechanic, been wrenchin my whole short life. Even know about that old time experience called troubleshooting. Todays term is called shotgunning parts or parts changer.

The starter consists of a whole bunch of copper wires wrapped on the center object called the armature. This usually goes bad when a wire shorts or breaks cause of vibration. I wont turn and usually ruins the relay if applied too much and too long.

The back side has the brushes, they are linked directly under the pole where power is connected. This is called the commutator and brushed go bad after normal wear.

If yours moves but when it gets warm does not....not the starter itself.
Usually this is a solenoid that goes bad or a relay.

Easiest way to trouble shoot.

Remove battery
Remove all fuses
Key off, switch off
Use jumper cables to ground bike on frame or clamped to neg bat cable.
Apply power directly to starter pole. I use a cable that I made to remove the terminals away from the bike. Prevents any accidental frying of computer components....CAREFUL not to ground hot side.
Starter will crank and crank until you remove hot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all,I am not scared of a challenge.Those diagnostics all seem sound to me.I know it is difficult to give advice when the bike is not around.If this deal goes through I would have a little money cushion to play with and not have overpaid. Thanks for the help and if I ever get to fix it I will be of some help to someone else.Man it's great to get help from Australia to Alaska.Thanks very much,Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.