Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ! I'm new to list and just purchased a 95 GL 1500SE Trike. Bike starts great but only on release of start button. Is this normal? Seems as if the starter is killing the ignition circuit which becomes energized as starter motor stops. Problem?? Solution?
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a '95 Interstate and I had the same problem. I've heard some folks say that replacing the battery resolved their issue and others have stated that it was a dirty connector.

In my case, I unplugged the P9 connector (behind the lower right fairing cover) and sprayed both sides of the connector(male/female parts) with contact cleaner. Now it starts as soon as I press the starter button.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks djoyner! I'm going with the dirty connector as the battery is strong. Heck! I've got the lowers off as am about to change the timing belts, so will check all the connections. Will report back!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most of my issues on my 89 have been with contacts. Last 2 issues are reverse and cruise for me. When I did my timing belt I also put in the advanced timing trigger wheel. It made a big difference in the old girl. No more hesitation when I roll out from a stop or off idle. That and my friends 97 dosen't leave me a few lengths behind anymore...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dennis
Yes I have Rudy's guide at my side thanks. BTW I like your web site. Been to most locations. Should be back at the Tail this spring. ( 5th visit).

Glen ( southern Ontario)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Dennis
Yes I have Rudy's guide at my side thanks. BTW I like your web site. Been to most locations. Should be back at the Tail this spring. ( 5th visit).

Glen ( southern Ontario)
Send me a PM when you finalize your plans. A riding buddy and I are planning a trip to the dragon in the spring as well. I've ridden the dragon three times (all during one trip) and it's an 'interesting' ride, but the Moonshiner's 28, the loop around Telico Plains and the Cherohala are nice rides too.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Funny my 93 does the same thing. When you push the start button does the headlight go off too? If you push the starter button the headlight goes out, the starter turns over and when you release the button, the engine starts and the headlight comes back on. It's normal, Honda designed it that way, it allows the power to go to the starter. Nothing is dirty or worn on mine. A client's 2000 GL1500 trike started the same way as did another persons 1990 and I've seen many others in parking lots start much the same way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny my 93 does the same thing. When you push the start button does the headlight go off too? If you push the starter button the headlight goes out, the starter turns over and when you release the button, the engine starts and the headlight comes back on. It's normal, Honda designed it that way, it allows the power to go to the starter. Nothing is dirty or worn on mine. A client's 2000 GL1500 trike started the same way as did another persons 1990 and I've seen many others in parking lots start much the same way.
Interesting. I've read that even though a lot of GL1500's do this, it's not normal. After cleaning the contacts on the plug that the starter button goes through, my bike starts before I release the starter button.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Many people hold the start button in for a prolonged period of time and then release it. Yes, the headlight does go out, it's supposed to. That's they way it's designed.
People like me who live in Florida, slather dielectric grease on all connection, bulb sockets and pins. I can hold the switch down for more than 10 seconds and then release it, or as soon as I hear the starter turn, I take my thumb off.
Mine follows this way: Push the start button and the headlight goes off, starter turns over engine; release button, engine starts and headlight comes back on.
When all else fails, read the instructions. This book worth every penny.
Wouldn't run a trike shop without one.

Attachments

·
Registered
687 Posts
The cure is a high capacity battery and good tight cable connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I've had a number of Honda's (650 Nighthawk,cb's, 1984 GL1200,00 CBR1100XX,02 ST1100 and an 06 ST1300 )
They all start while the starter is engaged. I'm reasonably sure that is what is supposed to happen.
My thoughts are that there isn't enough power to both run the starter and excite the ignition. The covers are off ready to change timing belts but its too cold to work at the moment (-15C).
I'm going to go with the weak battery or dirty connections or both theories.
Trike lady,, I do have a manual...just can't find the info. I've had the headlight go out due to current draw which would be normal
Djoyner where is the connector located that solved it for you? (jammed in just ahead of the battery?)
Thanks Again

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I've had a number of Honda's (650 Nighthawk,cb's, 1984 GL1200,00 CBR1100XX,02 ST1100 and an 06 ST1300 )
They all start while the starter is engaged. I'm reasonably sure that is what is supposed to happen.
My thoughts are that there isn't enough power to both run the starter and excite the ignition. The covers are off ready to change timing belts but its too cold to work at the moment (-15C).
I'm going to go with the weak battery or dirty connections or both theories.
Trike lady,, I do have a manual...just can't find the info. I've had the headlight go out due to current draw which would be normal
Djoyner where is the connector located that solved it for you? (jammed in just ahead of the battery?)
Thanks Again
The connector is on a bracket behind the right fairing to the left of the radiator fan. The connector is red in color and is the third one from the right.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
There is a #6 relay in the relay box labeled Ignition/Cruise Control. This little relay will sometime start to go bad. When you assemble any electrical components apply dielectric grease to them. How old is the battery on your trike, because Florida is horrible in the summer and batteries take a beating, you're lucky to get two years out of one. Any place where you have a mating surface and electricity must flow through it, clean it and apply dielectric grease. Trust me it's worth it.
Attached is a scan of the starting block diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi trike lady. The PO said the battery is new, and looks it. Up here over heating is not usually a problem. It's currently -21C. The batteries spend 4 months on Battery Tenders. The engine spins like a top so the battery and starter seem fine. When things warm up a bit I'm going after connectors.
Djoyner My 1995 GL1500SE seems to have a different layout from yours. ( Cdn vs US layout ??). There is no bracket with connectors to the left of the right side fan??:(
Laying low Till it warms up a tad

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi trike lady. The PO said the battery is new, and looks it. Up here over heating is not usually a problem. It's currently -21C. The batteries spend 4 months on Battery Tenders. The engine spins like a top so the battery and starter seem fine. When things warm up a bit I'm going after connectors.
Djoyner My 1995 GL1500SE seems to have a different layout from yours. ( Cdn vs US layout ??). There is no bracket with connectors to the left of the right side fan??:(
Laying low Till it warms up a tad
glenc, attached is a link to the page in the wiring diagram that shows the plug. It's plug C57 9-red in Frame #21. It's actually under the right upper fairing, even though you only need to remove right lower fairing in order to access it.

http://www.dennisjoyner.net/motorcycles/GL1500_Plug.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your help djoyner! I now know where it is! Thought I must be going senile.
No work on the trike tonight. Now -25C

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again a big thank you to all those who chimed in with helpful hints.
The trike now has new timing belts (and yes it still runs) AND after cleaning the battery terminals and reconnecting ,post belt install, it starts like a charm. (Starts with the starter engaged).
Special thanks to djoyner for all his help and friendly advice.
What a great group :) .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts