Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new GW owner here looking for some help
Just purchased a 1997 Se with 48,000 miles. bike had been sitting for 1 1/2 years as the owner had pasted away. the family member who recently acquired it tried to get it started, he said at first the engine would turn over but he could not get it to fire up..no surprise after sitting for a while... I guess he was determined to get it fired up so he kept cranking it over using first the battery from his other bike and then a car battery, fortunately the car battery was removed from the vehicle first. Anyway by the time I got there to pick it up the starter would not engage. You can here the relay click but that's all that happens???
Is there somewhere I can download a service manual?

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi nc, just possibly the seller ran the heck out of the starter motor an burnt up the brush plate or the armature from excessive heat. try turning on the key, holding the starter button depressed an tapping on the starter motor lightly with a hammer, this might tell you the starter motor is bad. good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am fairly certain he ran the heck out of the starter, as you said. now I need a manual just to find the starter:)
Are there any electrical connections, such as a fuse between the relay and starter? I know the guy I got from was screwing around in the battery compartment where there are lots of fuses and connections that were added for aftermarket accessories, he managed to stop all the aftermarket lights from working also, I'm thinking he probably blew a fuse, so I was wondering if he could have also done something in there to stop the starter from getting power?

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
The starter motor is on the right side of the bike behind the removable covers, when you pull the right side cover off you'll see the reverse cables for the reverse, there are wires running to the starter, an 'A' relay with fuse crammed in by the battery. I'm going to suggest that the starter could possibly have been cooked. There was a site on the internet called www.goldwingdocs.com and you may be able to find the info there or some public libraries have service manuals.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Let me know how you make out nc. You got mail:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, got the starter out , it seems ok, ie. it spins when I connect 12v to it. Now I think the problem is the relay. Two thicker wires on the relay, wire #1 is always hot (12v) when I push the start button and the relay is energized I should see 12v on wire #2, correct...if so the the relay is the problem as I do not get 12v on wire #2 when I push the start button

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
The round cylindrical 'A' relay may have gone bad. The one on my Wing was replaced by the former owner when it had starting issues. The part isn't very expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The relay clicks when the start button is pressed, ie the relay is being energized, no out put voltage as measured to ground. I shorted across the relay terminals and the starter spins....bad relay? could it be anything else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Purchased a new relay and now the starter is functioning properly! However the bike still will not start. Has fire and fuel, bike sat for over a year without being started, I would like to remove the carbs for a good cleaning...any advice, how complicated??

·
Registered
691 Posts
The carbs are a bit of a problem to get to. Get a service manual and follow the steps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts