Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1500 Interstate, cannot reinstall starter

I'm trying to get my Wing back on the road after two years of sitting. The starter didn't engage at all so I cleaned out the contacts and tested the starter and it spins but doesn't engage. I'm probably missing something simple and thought I might ask for advice before preceding. The starter is out of the bike. I'm a total novice so keep that in mind...:laugh2:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Title change;
Here is my problem, when I pulled the starter this gear fell off into the motor and literally hell was paid to get it out again. I really need some advice on putting this back together. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I suggest a load test on the battery unless you have already done that. A weak battery is usually the culprit when a bike won't start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need help reinstalling starter

Here is my problem, when I pulled the starter this gear fell off into the motor and literally hell was paid to get it out again. I really need some advice on putting this back together. The gear doesn't want to go back in. Also is there a way to identify any different 1500 starters? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I can't help with the gear issue, but if you could provide any more symptoms (if there are any) like excessive current draw, unusual noise, intermittent switches, etc. that would help us help you.
Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just give the details as I know them. I have a better idea of things as a buddy of mine cleaned all the contacts and the starter turns ok when hooked up to the leads. However, that gear apparently needs to be inside and it's not and I have no idea why or how to put it where it belongs. There is no place for a clip to hold it on the starter itself.

·
Premium Member
8,241 Posts
Sorry, man, but even when looking at the Honda GL1500 shop manual in the specific Interstate starter/reverse section I can't identify exactly what that is or where it goes. Did you remove the rear case cover as part of this work? I'd guess it's the starter drive gear, but that doesn't help you much.

When I get really stuck I post on the Saunders Goldwing Forum. These days a fellow with the handle "Dave0430" is the resident whiz kid, though there are several others, too. By whiz kid I mean somebody who could disassemble and reassemble a Wing in the dark!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, man, but even when looking at the Honda GL1500 shop manual in the specific Interstate starter/reverse section I can't identify exactly what that is or where it goes. Did you remove the rear case cover as part of this work? I'd guess it's the starter drive gear, but that doesn't help you much.

When I get really stuck I post on the Saunders Goldwing Forum. These days a fellow with the handle "Dave0430" is the resident whiz kid, though there are several others, too. By whiz kid I mean somebody who could disassemble and reassemble a Wing in the dark!
It is the drive gear. I'm not sure what you mean by the rear case cover. I think I'll post at the Saunders forum too, sooner or later someone will figure out just how I royally screwed up what should be a fairly straight forward procedure. :crying: Is the Interstate engine any different because it doesn't have reverse?

·
Premium Member
8,241 Posts
It is the drive gear. I'm not sure what you mean by the rear case cover. I think I'll post at the Saunders forum too, sooner or later someone will figure out just how I royally screwed up what should be a fairly straight forward procedure. :crying: Is the Interstate engine any different because it doesn't have reverse?
I don't think you're screwed. You just need to confirm how the drive gear goes in, get it in there, and then install the starter. As far as the rear case cover, if you ask then you didn't deal with it so don't worry about it.

I don't think the Interstate engine is any different than other 1500s except it lacks the "add-on" of reverse, which is simply a lever, some cables and a shift arm that engages the starter via another gear to produce reverse movement.

Reactions: budoka

·
Registered
430 Posts
That post is from 2016, and the last poster Tatanka hasn't been on the forum in 11 months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.