Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 Goldwing 1500 SE. I have just one issue I cant seem to figure out. Every once and a while I press the start button and nothing happens. I keep on pressing and than it just starts.

I had it looked at and all the connections are ok. Just wondering why this happens. Any ideas.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't but, in the mean time, if you care to back track - there was a discussion about the same thing another guy had and someone posted a reason for it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
A shot of WD40 or contact cleaner (make sure it doesn't ruin plastic) into the switch sometimes works.
Welcome & greetings from Florida

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't but, in the mean time, if you care to back track - there was a discussion about the same thing another guy had and someone posted a reason for it. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I am new to this site and I do appreciate your quick reply. Just hope someone sends me the reason why this is happening.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am new to this site and I do appreciate your quick reply. Just hope someone sends me the reason why this is happening.
Whether you are new or old here doesn't matter. The lag time between asking a question and receiving a reply is all based on the right people for your particular problem being online at the right moment.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Or if you wait long enough you may get a smart ass reply !!! (joke for chopin!)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can take the switch apart and clean it, but be careful, there are small pieces in there you don't want to lose. Contact cleaner should help like Trike Lady said also.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Goldeneagle...does this happen in neutral or in gear with the clutch in? Mine does the same only when in gear with the clutch in. If it's in neutral, problem gone.
Strat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goldeneagle...does this happen in neutral or in gear with the clutch in? Mine does the same only when in gear with the clutch in. If it's in neutral, problem gone.
Strat
No when it does happen I have it in neutral, kick stand down. Its just wont start, I press the start button several times than wait a few min and it just starts.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Can you hear relay 6 click. It is over in the relay box which is located on the left side under the side cover to the rear of the fuse panel. Remove the side cover so you can hear it better, turn key on, and press the starter button, you should here it click, followed by solenoid A, Located on right side under the side panel it is a large relay mounted up side down in near the oil filler cap, Look for the red and blue connector covers, that's it.. This one has been know to stick. . This provides the energizing voltage to solenoid B ( locate on the right side but the seat has to be removed to it. A also pass the starting voltage on to the main contacts of B, which passe's the voltage on to the starter.
If you don't hear solenoid A energize. You can short across the two large contact of Solenoid A with the key turned on. If the bike starts it's a GOOD bet solenoid A is going south.

Used Contact Cleaner ie: From Radio Shack, on the switch.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts