Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently acquired my 2003 GL1800A, I thought I would go ahead and change out the spark plugs. I didn't look up the number first (guess I should have). I just stopped at a dealer and asked at the parts counter for plugs for this bike, paid, and took them home. He sold me a set of BKR5E-11 plugs. Now I look up in the service manual and see that the standard plug is a BKR6E-11 and what he sold me is listed for a cold climate below 5-C or 41F . My thoughts are:
1 - He had some of the cold plugs to get rid of and tried to sucker me into purchasing a set.
2 - There is some reason the cold weather plugs are recommended although he didn't mention and we did not discuss.

What are your thoughts on these plug options?

Thanks,
GR

·
Super Moderator
15,034 Posts
there is no such thing as a cold weather plug the number refers to the heat range of the plug so if in your search the 5 is a colder plug than the 6 weather has nothing to do with it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well shame on the GL1800 service manual for calling it a cold weather plug :oops:😁.
My questions remains, what plug to people tend to use in the GL1800???

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the owners manual does say that the 5 is for cold weather, but as doc pointed out I don't think that is the totally the correct correlation. But the BRK5E-11 is a hotter plug than the BRK6E-11. If it were mine I would return the 5's for 6's. It may not really hurt any thing to run the 5's but for my piece of mind I would get the 6's.

Heat Range - NGK Spark Plugs Australia | Iridium Spark Plugs | Glow Plugs | Oxygen Sensors | Ignition Leads | Ignition Coils.
Thanks for the link. I called the dealer who said I could swap them for the other plugs. However, they didn't have them in stock and will order some and let me know when they arrive. This information tends to confirm one of my possible scenarios ... 😣

1 - 5 of 5 Posts