Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 06 wing with factory footpegs about 2 months ago, I spent about the first month just puttering around the city, with a few small highway trips. I then went on a 2 hr ride on the highway. At first 1/2 hr was fine , happy with the seating position etc,then I began to get sore legs and knees. The pain began to get so bad in my knees and legs and hips, that I had to get off every 1/2 hr. or so to stretch my legs. Ever since that ride I can only go for maybe 20 min or so without either standing up on the pegs (lots of fun on the highway, plus I probably look stupid) or have to get off the bike. I purchased highway pegs that allow me to stretch out a bit , but as soon as I put my feet back on the lower pegs again the hurting starts. It's as though with my feet locked into the factory pegs, my shin bones are being twisted at my knees? . I'm only 5'8''. Someone suggested buying the heel-toes shifter ie; floorboards/ I love the bike in every other respect , and I would hate to get rid of it because of the leg thing. Has anyone out there experienced similiar problems with there 1st wing,; would floorboards help? I had a 1700cc yamaha with floorboards and never had any leg problems, but the seating position is totally different ;straighter spine; legs more forward. I'm kind of scared tht my legs just aren't made for a wing. Can anyone offer some advise about this problem. Thanks ;dean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Dean, I am 5'10". I have floor boards, but then all the bikes I've had for the last 20 yrs have had them. I also have the Ergo highway pegs. I'll get cramps in my hips once in awhile, but thats just being old. Not sure if the floor boards are the answer but it's cheaper than trading it for something else. Can you rent a Wing /boards or try one from a friend? Just a thought.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I ride with others that are 5'8" types and many other sizes through GWRRA and I've never heard them becoming that "restless" in 20 minutes. Most get "restless" around the 2 hour mark and want to stretch their legs. There may be an issue with your basic anatomy that the position of the factory pegs irritates. That's just shooting in the dark not knowing that much about you but, Floorboards would give you the most room to find that comfort zone if there is one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Floor boards will definately give you more options for your feet than pegs. I am 6'4" and have ridden with pegs until the last couple years. As I said boards allow you to move your feet around, but they also reduce ground clearance. This will become evident the first time you try to take twisties at speed. Now before everyone gets their throttles in a twist, I am not advocating riding a Wing like a sport bike, but bike, but there are times the bike gets leaned a little bit more than others which can give you instant feedback when the boards touch the ground.

Just an observation.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm 5'8" too and when stopped, am pretty much on my toes. Using boards would make me have to teeter from one foot to the other at a stop so I'm pretty much stuck with the stock pegs. I've gotten stiff in the knees before on long trips but since I added my Ergo II's I can now stretch my legs when needed.

GGflyer mentioned the seat. I suppose your saddle could be a factor. I purchased an Airhawk seat cushion for my Corbin seat and it made a world of difference on my end. Better support at the seat might improve blood flow to, and help with the sore legs. It's worth a shot. If nothing else, your arse will thank you!

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Guys, I got my 95 4 yrs ago & had stock pegs for the 1st big trip & about 6 months after. I found a pair of used boards/ heel toe on ebay, added highway pegs & life was better for awhile. I always had a nawing feeling of uncomfortability at stops especially steep inclines. 6 months ago I bought a set of Iso-Wings & adapters (you need adapters for 1500) & I can't believe the differance. When you have boards on your feet have to reach out past them. With the wings your feet can go straight down to the ground. I'm right around 6' so I think you guys that are shorter will have an issue with boards. The Wings are a "mini board" so you can move your feet around a bit & a lot more comfortable than stock pegs. Until someone comes up with something better I'm sold on Iso-Wings.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/.../gl1800/232_goldwing_Footpeg_Floorboards/des/

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mini Floor Boards

There is a mini floor board out that is more square than the wings and goes in place of the stock pegs.
it allows a flatter surface with more foot room without having to modigy brakes and shifter. Ther is an optional heel toe shifter that goes with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you are 5' 8" you will have a problem with the Floor Boards when you come to a stop. You would think that Highway Pegs that allow you to stretch your legs out would take care of this. As mentioned above, it may be the seat and your position on the seat as too the pegs. Try getting a cheap cushin and put it on the seat and ride for an hour and see what that does. It may narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just throwing my .02 in... I have been riding sport bikes since 1990 but have always said I would have a Goldwing at some point. That point is now and the one I bought from a private seller came with boards and a heel/toe shifter... the only two motorcycles I had ridden since 1978 were motocross bikes and sport bikes (no heel/toe on those). I rode the Goldwing for over 3 hours Sunday from North Carolina back to Augusta and the whole set-up was great. No pain or cramping issues. I am, however, 5'11 and didn't have a problem reaching the ground with both feet.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I haven't tried boards and don't really see an advantage. I'd look more toward the seat. Does it fit you in width? may need to have the sides trimmed down taking pressure off any nerves/ blood vessels in your legs. Also do you have a backrest for your position, take may also help out.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Sore knees

If I ride 30-45 minutes or so and dont change riding positions, ie highway pegs, my knees lock up (big time). So, I make sure to streach out for3- 5 minutes every 10-15. This works for me. It isnt a clock thng just be sure you change riding positions now and then.

BTW, remember that round, white, layered thing on the table in front of you with all the candles on it? Every time a candle is added you need to increase the frequency of changing riding positions. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I kept the stock pegs on mine because with a 29" inseam the boards make it very difficult to put my feet down at the stops. I have looked at the Iso Pegs and am considering them as a replacement for the stock pegs..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought my 86 Aspy which came with floor boards and a heel/toe shifter. I find them to be clumsy under my size 13's. My feed do not fit on the h/t shifter I have to point my foot outward to upshift and contort them back in to down shift. Backing the bike is a night meare cuz the floorboards are too wide. My feet are always getting stuck under the valve covers and braking is a nightmare. While stopped for a light I could not get my right foot down in time and wound up tipping over. Emabarassing as hell!
I just picked up oem pegs, shifter and break pedals on ebay. I am sure this will my ride more comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts