Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1200 stalls every once in a while. As I am driving every once in a while it will just die I pull over it starts back up in about a min. It seems like electrical problem . Is their a common problem with a switch or something?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
mine did that but it was the fuel filter

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are big electrical problems on the 1200 Wings and it is the stator, but if that was the case it wouldn't start back up. Your battery would be dead.
Could be the fuel pump, it might stop when it gets hot, will the bike start up after turning the key off and back on or do you have to wait a few minutes for it to start. Once it starts is it O.K. and how often does it stop.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some times it will go 30 miles other times it will 20. It has plenty of power.I pull over don't turn off key and it starts back up then go 1-30 miles and it will do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does it sound like it is running out of gas with stuttering, or more like you just hit the kill switch?

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts
I would be thinking you have a problem with the electrics which could be hard to find. A lot of old bikes the ignition switchs get a bit dicky and it may only need for you to hit a bump in the road and it could cut out. If it sometimes will not turn on with the key and you have to turn it off and on again to get power. Replace the ignition as a starting point. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i don't remember if 1200 wings have a tip over sensor like 1500's have but if they do yours may be bad.

·
Registered
364 Posts
detdrbuzzard: As far as I can tell,dropped my 84 aspy while at a stop the bike kept running I have had this problem if I turned the bars all the way the radio would die now the motor will die. Checked the wires from ignition switch found by wiggling them the bike would die cut the wire ties lose and has not happened again but plan on taking ignition switch and harness out and giving it a good check up to fix problem Hal P.S.check your dogbone fuse if you have not changed it to blade type.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I read somewhere that some of the early 1200's had a plastic part ( clip) holding the wiring to the bottom of the ignition switch, later they used a metal "cap" or part that used screws & that cured that issue. So, it makes sense when you say if you move the wires at the switch they will loose contact with the base and cut out.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
The 1200s were well known for having poor ignition switches, there was a recall done on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts