Honda Goldwing Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
The CTX is a nice idea I think. However, there's been some serious complaints about the rear suspension being unduly harsh on rebound. One of my pals in the SF Bay area road one (their roads are seriously strewn with potholes) and he gave the rear end a severe thumbs down. Crossed it off his wish list immediately. I have yet to try one myself so can't say for sure one way or the other.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Right now I feel like I have all the Bases covered with my Stable, Probably need another??
I have a 93 Wing 1500, I like it better than the 1800.
Also an 02 ST-1100, it has way more Gitty-Up than I need to go. I quit at 120.
And a 95-750 Nighthawk. Great bike that takes me where I want to go and back.
When I start to cull the herd, The Wing & ST will go first, I can get by just fine on the Nighthawk.

Rusty

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was too hot on my G/W 1500 also. Sometimes I would walk out in a farmer's field to get wet in his sprinklers & ride some more. Each time I get a different bike it's smaller than the previous one. This year we did almost three weeks in the Alps and one more in Romania on rental 800cc Triumph & BMW. Liked the small bike handling so much (but not as comfortable) I just bought one to add to my collection.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
right now my '99 ST 1100 is still un-sold, thought it would be gone but no takers. its powerful enough and comfortable enough with bar risers for touring though the bags are small, you would need a trunk or something like my wolfman small expedition bag. if looking at one look for a '96 or newer cause those have the 40a alternator, earlier ones have a 28a alternator
some people say that the Mighty ST 1300 is an improvement over the ST 1300 and some say the opposite is true, i like the MIghty ST 1300 better than the ST 1100, it weighs less and feels more sporty! has more power. with fuel injection and a power windshield. the bags are larger but you will still need a trunk or a bag on the seat to carry your gear. i have bar risers on my ST1300 also. it still doesn't sit me up like a wing but the slight lean keeps the shock from hitting a bump from going streight up my spine, i find this more comfortable than my wing. the reason i went from my 1500 SE to the Mighty ST 1300 was because i wanted a lighter bike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Anyone have both? Or experience on both? How do they two compare in comfort, handling, weather protection, airflow?

I have a Goldwing and a CB750 Nighthawk. Lately I've been riding the Nighthawk because of the wonderful airflow in this hot weather :) The GW is starting to feel like a luxury car: big, heavy, and comfortable....and of course on a 90 degree, 80% humidity afternoon, the GW has too much protection from the breeze.

Most of the riding I do is on curvy back country roads. The Nighthawk seems much more responsive.

I'm starting to wonder if I should trade the GW on a sport/touring bike.

Comparisons and comments welcome.

thanks,
Ken
You need to open the vent on the winshield if you have one to open and add the deflectors on the sides to direct air from the sides onto you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've gone back and forth between ST1300's and Goldwings. I think I've had three ST1300's and two Goldwings. If I could get either one, brand new, for the same price, it would be a tough decision. The ST1300 is sportier (obviously) but the Goldwing is more comfortable. I'm 57. The older I get the more I like the Goldwing. Plus in Florida there are many more used Goldwings available than ST1300's. So I'm back on a Goldwing right now. I'd cross the country with either one. And both work great alone or two up. You can tow a trailer with either one too. And they are both dead reliable. I wish they sold a less expensive version of the Wing that didn't have so many bells and whistles on it. That would be the bike for me!

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
I've gone back and forth between ST1300's and Goldwings. I think I've had three ST1300's and two Goldwings. If I could get either one, brand new, for the same price, it would be a tough decision. The ST1300 is sportier (obviously) but the Goldwing is more comfortable. I'm 57. The older I get the more I like the Goldwing. Plus in Florida there are many more used Goldwings available than ST1300's. So I'm back on a Goldwing right now. I'd cross the country with either one. And both work great alone or two up. You can tow a trailer with either one too. And they are both dead reliable. I wish they sold a less expensive version of the Wing that didn't have so many bells and whistles on it. That would be the bike for me!
What year Wing do you currently own Ben??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you looked at the CTX 1300? Same drivetrain as the ST. I have one for sale in Las Vegas.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
I currently own a 2003 Goldwing. My other wing was also a 2003.
I do not know your finances obviously, but I encourage to look at the 2018/19 Wings for your next step.

I am quite certain by your initial discussion that you will find what you are envisioning as the perfect motorcycle.

Wonder Bikes they are.

#wonderbike ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
I went with an ST 1300 about four years ago because I wanted something that weighed less than my wing. now everyone is telling me to get a new wing but that would mean a heavier bike and smaller gas tank, two things I don't want

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently sold a 2005 ST1300 and bought a 2018 Wing. Also have a Yamaha FJR1300 so the sport tour thing is covered. Loved the ST except for one thing. Heat during the summer. Had always heard people complain about the heat on the ST but from about 85F on up it got really hot on the left side of the bike. If you were to move your feet out on the pegs it helped but still hot. Loved the big gas tank on the ST. Added a McCruise and that really made it a complete bike. Having the FJR, 2014, with cruise and ES suspension my sport bike thing was covered and the fact that the ST is out of production for awhile set me off to buy a Wing. I hunted down a 2017 Wing with 1400 miles as I thought the last of the big ones would do the trick. Bought it and rode it home (350 miles) and knew it was not going to be a keeper. Went to Grapevine, TX, DFW Honda and rented a 19 Wing for what they call a half day. 9 to 5. Took it out and rode about a tank and a half of gas through it and knew I could make it work. Lighter, more responsive, and more gadgets. Liked the seat on the 18 Wing much better. You could call it an ST1800 and some do.

I am a solo rider so the smaller luggage really doesn't bother me. If I had a rider then the 2017 would probably have stayed due to luggage space and roominess. What I really got used to over the years with the FJR and ST was the electric windshield and the 17 wing didn't have it. So far I have 5500 miles on the 18 Wing and am really enjoying it. The Carplay is nice to have and much improved electronics over the 17, although the 17 has enough for the job. +1 to the 17 model for the stereo and possibilities it has versus the 18. I have found a nice Bluetooth headset works wonders for the 18 model and am plenty satisfied with that.

The ST is a very solid bike, a little long in the tooth, but still a very capable mount that is Honda reliable and with internet forums such as this, very supportive in keeping one on the road. If that were my only choice I could be happy wearing one out for lots of miles.

I was weary of the new Wing and 5.5 gallon tank. Living out here in the wind I was afraid I would be hunting gas at 170/175 miles on a tank but have been pleasantly surprised at the new Wing's range. Assuming tailwind and headwind combined on a days ride I can depend on 220 to 250 miles on a tank. They really did improve the gas mileage as claimed. My ST and FJR average 35 mpg with 30/32 into a headwind. The new Wing gets 42/45 and 38 into a headwind depending on how strong a headwind. Seems like with age it gets tougher to outride the bladder.

The new Wing is a nice ride and can be had for much less than MSRP. I bought mine from a Harley dealership. Someone bought it, put 325 miles on it and traded it in on a new Harley. I bought it for $5000 less than my local dealer could source one for me and the warranty had gone into effect only six weeks prior. Looking at Cycletrader they can be had for significant savings if you are diligent in your shopping.

The kids are raised and gone, weddings are done, college is done, so a motorbike splurge seemed to be in order. I would encourage anyone thinking about an 18+ rent one if possible to see if you like it or not. Especially if you have an earlier 1800 and ride two up. You may find that you are completely happy with the current ride and probably have it farkled up the way you like it. Then just spend money on tires, gas, and oil and keep on enjoying. Surely nothing wrong with that scenario.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts