Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have both? Or experience on both? How do they two compare in comfort, handling, weather protection, airflow?

I have a Goldwing and a CB750 Nighthawk. Lately I've been riding the Nighthawk because of the wonderful airflow in this hot weather :) The GW is starting to feel like a luxury car: big, heavy, and comfortable....and of course on a 90 degree, 80% humidity afternoon, the GW has too much protection from the breeze.

Most of the riding I do is on curvy back country roads. The Nighthawk seems much more responsive.

I'm starting to wonder if I should trade the GW on a sport/touring bike.

Comparisons and comments welcome.

thanks,
Ken

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Ken there are quite a few of us (on the GWOF) that went from an ST1300 to a Wing, myself included. Now I'm a bit of a different case since i'm a Honda dealer and sometimes my whims get the better of me, but I bought my ST in '07 after a long time desire for an ST (I test rode one at Wing Fling Canada in 1989 or so) and it was just so much fun to ride. We have one member that sold his 2008 1800 and bought a Concours 14 this past year and loves the power and spritely handling of the Connie. I've ridden Connies and just preferred the St's manners over the more raw sport attitude of the Kaw. My missus didn't like the passenger accomodations of the ST so I went back to a Wing and I have an RC51 stable-mate for when I have the need for exercising my inner child, I just couldn't justify returning to an ST as an extra bike to play with. My first and all time love is still the Wing, It's my third and I've put over 200,000 miles on them since '84. But yeah, the ST is a fabulous bike, just beware of the fact that they are very capable of maintaining ultra high (illegal) speeds for hours at a time with no drain on you as a rider. Your license and wallet may be a whole other matter. Come to think of it, so's my RC51 for that matter:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
i would think it would depend on what type of riding you do with the wing. if you and soqs ride together alot then hang on to the wing but if you go solo the st may be a better fit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I haven't made a final decision but more and more I suspect that a S/T bike is not for me. 99% of my riding is 40-60 mph, that's all the roads around here support.

I was hoping for something lighter and easier at slow speeds than the wing but still comfortable. From all the info I'm gathering, neither the ST nor the FJR really feel lighter at slow speeds. Apparently they carry their weight higher than the wing and won't give me the Nighthawk feel and the GW ride ;-)

For 2up riding, we have the trike. I was looking for something lighter handling than the GW but still as comfortable. I know....every bike is a compromise of one sort or another.

Ken

·
Banned
3,213 Posts
Ken, in all honesty, your signature bikes have it all covered.

If you really need a different thrill, buy a dual sport.

If you really want to buzz around town, get your hands on a Suzuki Burgman 650 or the Honda Silverwing 600 scooter. These are sport bikes in a scooter skin and will surprise many a cruisers on their performance. And practical too.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
and why isn your nighthawk listed in your sig with your wings .... well :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I just traded up from a 2010 St to my new 2012 Goldwing. So far my Goldwing feels lighter than the St more comfortable than the st and IMHO handles just as good as the St. I cannot speak for the 2010 that you have but maybe you should consider riding a 2012 I am not sure what changes have been made from 2010 to 2012 but there is no way I would get rid of a wing for a St. The St is very hot bike to ride in the summer I feel I can ride my Wing anytime as long as it is not raining molten lava.If I were you I would look for improving the wing or buy a pure sport bike to add to the stable if your looking to scrape your knees on the floor. In fact my X St felt much more top heavy than the wing and it tended to get some high speed wobble at around 90-95MPH. I think the St is a great bike when you cannot afford a Wing.Don't get me wrong if I could have kept both Bikes i would have as I loved my St the only thing that the St has over the Wing is the seat which allows you to ride it like a sport bike where the wing your butt is where it is so cornering is less fun on a wing however for me I will only add bikes to the stable but the wing stays.

·
Registered
20 Posts
St vs. Goldwing thoughts

I purchased a new '06 ST and rode it for about three years. It's a great bike for long distance touring one up. It's not the best for two up riding, the back seat area is just not large enough. But if you're by yourself it's hard to beat.

I traded it for a new '09 wing which is great for two up riding. It handles just as good as the ST even with two on it. It's more comfortable than the ST although not by much.

So, if I always rode alone I would prefer the ST. But since my wife has adapted to riding better than I ever thought, the Goldwing is the right one.

You can look at my website and see both in action.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I purchased a new '06 ST and rode it for about three years. It's a great bike for long distance touring one up. It's not the best for two up riding, the back seat area is just not large enough. But if you're by yourself it's hard to beat.

I traded it for a new '09 wing which is great for two up riding. It handles just as good as the ST even with two on it. It's more comfortable than the ST although not by much.

So, if I always rode alone I would prefer the ST. But since my wife has adapted to riding better than I ever thought, the Goldwing is the right one.

You can look at my website and see both in action.

I took a look at your 2009 trip to Colorado & enjoyed the pictures. My wife & I ride a 2005 Wing & hail from Allen, TX (about 25 miles north of Dallas). Hope to see you on the road one of these days.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I didnt like theST sporting leg position on a long ride. Also I thought the high speed steering to be "choppy". This caused me to trade from an ST 1300 to a Gold Wing. I love the Wing on the hiway, solo, dual, uphill downhill etc. I have 113K miles on the Wing and it is the only bike I have owned more than 2 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Traded my 07 ST on a 2010 wing and cant be happier.my bride and I were looking for a top box for the ST and were shocked at how pricey the better units were running.The salesperson let us try an 06 wing someone had traded and we were in a new wing within a week. I liken the handling of the wing to a weeble wobble. definate improvement over the ST, and of course we are much more comfortable one or two up now. Rode the ST to Iowa and back in 09 and was miserable after 4 hrs both ways. My vote is VFR 1200 as a stable mate . Just need my wife to see the wisdom of two bikes with a child on the way!

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
My former ST was an '07 as well, missus didn't like it at all. She was actually the one that said I should go back to a Wing so who was I to argue. As to the two bikes, you're not supposed to carry three on one bike...math works for me;)
You get a bump out of this, thought I was just a week late in responding!

·
Registered
741 Posts
DF has a 2009 Goldwing, 2010 VFR 1200, and a 2012 ST 1300. While he loves them all, when he gets back on the Wing, he always texts me saying how much he loves it. Maybe he'll chime in one of these days.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here's my take on the two bikes.

All of my new bikes have been pretty much been broken in at the track and taken to various extremes of riding.

My personal preference between the two bikes is hands down the Goldwing - it's a great all around bike that can do pretty much anything when in capable hands: short sprints, slow speed/tight maneuvering, track duty, winding mountain roads while chasing sport bikes and most recently as Dookoo has proven - off-roading!Heat, rain, cold is a state of mind and can be easily overcome :D

I had an 08 C14 and had my fun with it then stooped down to a brand new out of the crate 07 ST1300 which immediately saw track duty after 36 miles. It was super smooth, decent power, great handling, awesome brakes and super cool to smoke sportbikes at Laguna Seca

·
Registered
110 Posts
The ST under slow speed super tight turning conditions is hands down the ultimate bike for that kind of duty as proven here on my recently purchased 2012 ST1300

As with any motorcycle the stock suspension could always use some help. My 09 Wing has full Racetech suspension and the 2012 ST was upgraded with the Racetech valving kit & external top cap adjustments for damping & compression. It handles so awesome now.

When all is said and done...nothing beats the Goldwing - it is the better choice for me and the ultimate machine for solo or 2-up riding any day of the week.

·
Registered
110 Posts
On the subject of the VFR1200F - this one is a real hoot to ride. I bought this 2010 last spring.

Looks cool, a split between a sportbike and sport tourer, not too shabby on the race track either

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Like Larry said, the Maxi Scooters like the Honda Silverwing, Suzuki Burgman 650/400, Yamaha T Max and the new BMW C650GT are worthy contenders also. I've owned the 650 and have a 400. I've done a 3000 mile trip to Colorado from Texas on the 650 and did a 2500 mile trip this summer to Big Bend on the 400. They're great touring bikes, lots of fun in the twisties and have no engine heat issues. A Burgman 650 Executive as a electric adjustable windshield. You'd be surprised how you can smoke most bikes off the line with a CVT transmission. The Burgman 650 has a top end of 120 and the 400 at 100. They're really more like a motorcycle with a step thru design.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts