Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ST1300 is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but I hear a GoldWing calling me. I wonder if anyone here has made the upgrade.

My challenge is that I don't do long rides as often as I'd like, partly because I'm stuck on an island here. There are some great rides here, but not many choices. That leaves me riding around town a bunch in between.

The ST1300 is magnificent at low speed. I can almost do feet-up stops at lights. I can turn it around in two parking stalls. Stop-and-go in traffic is no big deal. Would I go nuts with a GoldWing in town?

Also, to park I have to roll in, do a slow, tight, 120-degree left turn, then back it into the garage. Doesn't look as if that's a big deal, with a reverse gear, but is the turning circle as advertised, and can I learn to do that move with ease? I'm sure many of you face tougher parking challenges than that.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I know somebody here can answer all of your questions.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello tim, welcome to GWOF. my situation is opposite of yours. i'm thinking of selling my 1200 aspencace and getting an st 1100 or st 1300but i need a test ride

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Tim, I'm a former ST1300 rider, and there are a couple others here as well. I was more concerned with the change in braking power than the handling difference, but I had owned two other Wings previously, so the heft of the bike wasn't intimidating for me. Wings are remarkably agile in close quarters once the necessary input adjustments are made and the rider is accustomed to the weight difference. I was amazed at the spritely feel and the braking ability of the 1800 Wing the first time I hopped on it. There is actually only a small amount of straight line performance difference in real life between the two; a lifetime on the dragstrip, but sooo marginal for daily riding. I will NEVER give up my Wing again (and my wife would carve me up with her katana if I did). But there is still a bit of hooligan in me that misses the ST, so I'm seriously considering a Blackbird for those 'moments' when I just have to get out and feel my oats as it were. I look for reasons/places to heel the Wing over and drag hard parts, 'cause the bike does do it well for a luxo tourer, and I practice slow maneuvers all the time to avoid embarrassment and scrapes in parking lots etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Since your not going to do long distance riding, your on a Island, and you did not mention riding 2 up why are you considering a Glodwing

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Excellent question dirtdobber. Where exactly are you Tim? I'm guessing Vancouver Island?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I'm on Vancouver Island. My wife says she feels safer on the ST1300 than she does in the car, and she'd feel even safer on the Wing. I'd expect our 2-up riding to increase with the extra comfort and cargo capacity of the Wing. We'd do half-day or all-day rides, and maybe twice a year I'd do a longer run solo. When she retires in 4-5 years we'd probably do some LONG rides 2-up. Heck, we might move to Vancouver, opening up MANY more options for where to ride.

But mostly I am attracted to comfort as I get older. And perhaps to having all the farkles already there.

I may decide not to switch yet; or an opportunity might come up that's to good to let go.
I want to be ready when decision time comes.

Would I ride the Wing enough to justify owning it? No. But I don't ride the ST enough either. Justification is for people who don't ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
2 up riding is a joy 2 up with all the comforts it has. You will learn and gain abilities that can/will make the Goldwing as easy to handle as the ST is. I am 5'7" and I have no problems handling the wing at slow speeds (parking lots etc..) or the hills and curves. The power will be less but not by that much considering how you described how you ride.
Look for a good deal since you are only in the considering stage.

dd
Hope this helps ya

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
It was my wife nudging me to get the Wing. She didn't care for the ST much. I had the Givi trunk with the backpad on it, but she just kept saying "it's not like the Goldwing". So what could I do? I always listen to my wife:rolleyes:.
Love the Island Tim, some great roads, like the trip out to Tofino from Port Alberny. My bro lived in Pt Hardy for a couple years, liked it up there too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The power will be less but not by that much considering how you described how you ride.
Well, once you've blown off a few Porsches and 5-liter Mustangs it gets old and you don't need to do it any more.

And I will miss getting on my ST with five Harley owners watching, getting all ready, lowering the windshield and watching their jaws drop. Then leaving the cafe, which is right at a highway entrance, and doing a full dragster departure with (the gods smiled on me) a dead solid perfect power shift into second.

But I'd rather be comfortable.

Thanks, everyone. I'll be one of you soon; you've helped me move the decision from Whether to When.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tim i made the switch and havent regreted doing so for a moment i to have to back out and up grade to get the bike out to ride. I took my better half to the dealer to try it out it was all over from there she loves having all the comforts and i like having all the farkles and have put many more on since.but the one thing that i really do like is the low center of gravity,and the one thing i do miss is the electric windshield as for the handling i am very pleased with wing and by myself it is still as much fun as the st

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, once you've blown off a few Porsches and 5-liter Mustangs it gets old and you don't need to do it any more.

And I will miss getting on my ST with five Harley owners watching, getting all ready, lowering the windshield and watching their jaws drop. Then leaving the cafe, which is right at a highway entrance, and doing a full dragster departure with (the gods smiled on me) a dead solid perfect power shift into second.

But I'd rather be comfortable.

Thanks, everyone. I'll be one of you soon; you've helped me move the decision from Whether to When.

You will still be blowing off some Porsches, Mustangs and Corvettes with the Wing capable of 4.4 seconds 0-60. Even in the quarter mile you should be able to dispatch much of what is out there on 4 wheels with a 12.76 seconds @100.8 mph, according to Motorcylists On Line:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/escape/motorcycles/122_0102_honda_gl1800_gold_wing/index.html

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I've had several bikes, around 10 I think, I have no problem with the 1800 Wing around town or in tight parking lots..The only problem I have is after a 3 or 400 mile ride I don't want to put it away, I still want to go.....................TD

·
Registered
40 Posts
from my experience from the Goldwing, in my opinion as great as the bike is, it's almost to much just to ride around town. If you are that comfortable with the ST, I'd stick with it. While the Goldwing is a great motorcycle, it is a touring bike, and might be the wrong tool for how you are riding... Just my opinion, you're mileage may vary

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was torn between which to get myself- ST or GW. I am so glad I got the Goldwing. Not that I would have been disappointed with the ST but I already have a Suzuki DRZ400 to "play" on when the urge hits. After riding the "Tail of the Dragon" on my GW a few times last fall, I realized the GW was just as much fun with the right environment. It is incredibly nimble and super powerful... and comfortable... and full of nice options... etc.

I wish I had room and money enough for 3 motorcycles... : )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts