Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I am about done going thru this "new to me" gl1500.

I drained the oil and antifreeze and changed out the timing belts.
All the plastic is off.
I had to lay it on it's left side (engine guards and saddlebag guards to do some other work. I left it for about 4 days. Today, I got it back upright and filled it will oil and antifreeze. Crossed my fingers (timing belts) and fired it up. Started almost instantly and sounded fine. I did use some choke because it has been about 3 weeks since it ran but turned it off after 15 or 20 seconds.

IT IS REALLY SMOKIN'!!

I know this engine has issues blowing smoke just because of leaning it with the kickstand.

Am I missing something, check something or should I let it run to burn this off?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm not sure leaving it on it's side for "4 days" was a good thing, but just my guess. Is the smoke coming from both pipes or just one?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Two Wheel,
thanks for the quick reply.

It is equal out both pipes.

I guess I should have asked but didn't think there was much to harm as it was drained.

Any idea what I should look for or do?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I know you said it was drained but do you think some of the "stuff" from the bottom of the oil pan could have made it's way up to the top of the engine which is causing the smoking problem. Hope others on here with a lot more knowledge of these things will chime in...

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there is a reason for it - probably my stupidity.

It was sitting at about 45 degrees I guess.
And the oil and antifreeze had several days to drain while it sat upright and before I got it off the lift and leaned it over.

and it was a pain to get back up I might add.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm not sure leaving it on it's side for "4 days" was a good thing, but just my guess. Is the smoke coming from both pipes or just one?
It should come out of both pipes due to the crossover in the exaust. In the shop I putt her on the center stand but use the side stand on un-even parking spots. Besides the Green Wing with 157000 miles is old enough to smoke but doesn't.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
How long did it run with the smoke coming out? I left my '84 on the sidestand for two days, and it smoked for about 10 minutes (maybe longer) before it cleareed up. Don't recall my 1500 ever smoking, but I always made sure the engine was off before putting the side stand down.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks Budoka,

It sounded good with new spark plugs etc. so I let it run maybe 30 seconds. It still sounded fine but then it kept smoking so I thought it best to turn it off and think thru what I had done. Laying on it's side was the only thing that cam to mind. I no almost zero about gl1500s but it didn't make sense to think permanent damage would occur in this position as the engineers know this same position is going to happen more frequently than we want to imagine.

thanks all.
I will wait until morning and if no one else has more to say on the subject, then I will start it up and see if it clears.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
As long as it is running good and quiet, just let it run. It might foul a plug or two, but that should be the most harm it will do. It should clear up in about 5 minutes, or less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts