Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks, I have a situation with the front brake pads on my 05' that I'd like to get your opinion on. The front brakes have had a tendency to squeal when applied at or below 25 mph since I got this bike back in July. I put a new set of tires on about 3,000 miles ago and noticed the front pads needed replacing. I thought that was the problem. So I installed new Honda pads and cleaned up the calipers etc and no more squealing. Problem solved, or so I thought. Now the squeal is back. I know the rotors are in good condition, the calipers are working good and pads are new. Any ideas? I appreciate your input.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
are the pads glazed

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
It might be just brake dust. Try rinsing the pads and rotors with water and ride slowly for a bit with the brake applied gently, to dry the pads.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
It might be just brake dust. Try rinsing the pads and rotors with water and ride slowly for a bit with the brake applied gently, to dry the pads.
+1

[Check out the big brain on Kerry!:p]

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Ack ack ack!!!!!

(Guess the reference!)

:D

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
We must be brothers! LMBO :D

Sorry to hijack your thread, txwingman!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
Maybe alittle glazed but not enough to be concerned about. Keep in mind I use my front brake 90% of the time and I ride everyday.
using the brakes does not get rid of glazing

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
To be serious for a moment: I'm really attentive to brakes, along with steering/suspension. I figure if I can't control it, let alone stop it, not much else really matters.:eek:

At the start of each season I pull all calipers off one at a time, Brake-Kleen and then inspect them closely, "dress" the pads with 1000 grit emery cloth to remove any glazing, clean the dust grooves in them, lube the pad slides, check the dust boots, etc.

This is especially good for those of us who rarely wash our Wings during the riding season!:eek: Well, what the hell, I already know what it looks like all cleaned up; saw it once!:p

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I was just thinking........Last time I changed the pads with Honda OEM, I don't recall getting that little tube of grease that they give you in the car pad box. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Many say it is from buildup of dust around the edges of the pads. Therefore if you will grind a little off and bevel around the outside edges of the pads you can get rid of the squeal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.