Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent thread about the missing rider and the unfortunate and sad outcome, has anyone thought about purchasing a SPOT tracking device for when they travel alone? Does anyone own one and if so, what do you think of the unit? I'm sure others here on the board would like to know.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
two wheel, Don't own one but I was checking them out. Thinking of getting it for our cross country trip next year.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i do 99% of my riding alone, what is it and where do i find one

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
William here's a link I found that talks about them & reviews that still have me 2nd guessing whether to buy one or not.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/comments/000419.php

I'm not fond of monthly fee items. I remember when I got TIVO, I took the lifetime subscription so as not to deal with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a SPOT that I've used since April. I love it. So does my wife, who likes to keep track of me when I'm riding alone. The unit is basically a transponder that you can use in four modes: "Send 'OK' Messages," "Send Tracking Messages," "Send HELP Messages," and "Send 911 Message." See the SPOT website for explanations.

You can also publish to those of your choosing a link to a Google-based map showing where you are on your current trip or any other trip of your choosing. It's a great way to keep those at home up to date on your whereabouts, as well as documenting your travels.

I like the ability to send for help or a 911, even when in remote areas, as the system is satellite-based. You can even purchase insurance for helicopter rescue for a reasonable price as well.

If you travel a lot alone and especially in remote areas with little cell service, SPOT is for you.

I understand that SPOT has also released a smaller version, but on a cycle, that would not make a big difference; save the money and get the original, unless you just want the latest and greatest.

Check out SPOT at: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts