Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, folks, how many of you have ever heard about SPOT. I know some have but a great number of people have not. Now, before I get into this, I want to make it perfectly clear that I have no, none, nada, zip, affiliation with SPOT except as a subscribed user. How many of you have been on a trip or had a family member on a trip and you either made or received a call saying "Where are you now?" I venture to say everyone raised their hands on that one. Well, that can be a thing of the past with SPOT. They can actually see where you are at any time and viewing that information is absolutely free.

So, here is the deal. On the 14th of July (Thursday) I am leaving on a rip roaring, butt soreing, trip from Central Texas into Colorado. I am inviting you to take the trip with me via SPOT. I am setting up a link so that you can view the trip in REAL time. Here is how SPOT works. Once activated, SPOT, which is roughly the size of a pack of cigarettes, will send my GPS co-ordinates to a satellite every 10 minutes. The satellite will then down link that information to a central location (in Houston I think), tie it to my individual SPOT account and then overlay where I am on 1 of 4 maps of YOUR choice. I prefer Hybrid but you can choose your poison there. It will show up as a foot print moving along or over each highway at those 10 minute intervals.The maps will automatically move and center with each update. Now there is a time lag from up-linking to down linking to display so the foot prints will be about 12 to 15 minutes BEHIND me. The beauty of this is that its all done via Satellite and no cell phone coverage problems are encountered. SPOT will give me the ability to send my tracking data and 3 other types of messages if I choose to do so. A button to say I am OK and stopping for some reason (its a message you put into your profile) or secondly to summon 911 help. If I were to need it, I could hit the 911 button and my location would be sent automatically to all emergency responders within a large radius with all my personal history (medical and contacts) and they would then come hunting for me. And the third message I can send is Help. A canned message you make up and it will be sent to the Cell Phones and Computers of the people you choose. There is absolutely no need to ever be lost or too far from help again. The foot prints will count up from 1 to 50 and then the whole caterpillar will march up the map. You can zoom in to see details of the landscape because on Hybrid, my trek will be overlaid on Google Maps. Again its all free for the viewing and you can come and go as you please.

SPOT's sell from a price range of $60 to $150 or so. I got an older model several years ago and paid $50. The service to use spot has several bundles and are individually priced but the full package runs about $160 per year. Its a small price to pay for the security and piece of mind it gives to those using it. So, fellow Wingers, sit back in your easy chair, pop open a cool one and watch me attempt again the 900 mile trip through blazing Texas heat (104 today) and into the cool mountains of Colorado. I will try to make it in one shot but there are a lot of variables that could cause me to spend the night somewhere. I will have to dodge the deer here in the early hours and elk, moose and big furry creatures in the later hours in Colorado.

So, again, its on Thursday the 14th of July and I would love to have you all make the trip with me. Might be comforting to know so many eyes are watching my progress or lack there of. I will be on Ch. 1 on the CB so if you see me coming and want to holler, I'll be listening. Just remember I will be about 15 minutes AHEAD of the last track displayed. So, round up the wagons, point the tongue towards the north star, unsaddle the horses cause its" Rocky Mountain Here I Come Time", and we are Burnin Daylight. Don't know how long I am staying but the return trip should be visible too. I will try to let you know when that happens. The link below is where I will be. Wish me luck.

A few shots to show the size of SPOT and a practice load for the bike. Yes, the box in front of the passenger side (right hand) highway peg is a Valentine 1 Radar Detector.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0P0UssMDAkqceNBhpnuxZcX04UtroasU6

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like a must have for me. My wife is always worried sick when I take the girls out for a ride. Will definately have to show this to her.
Thank you for posting the info about it.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a must have for me. My wife is always worried sick when I take the girls out for a ride. Will definately have to show this to her.
Thank you for posting the info about it.
No problem. Make sure you get on that link Thursday and you can learn and show her how it works. Every adult member of my family has one and we use them constantly. Easy way to have peace of mind. Hope you enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Isaac our member Rapier is in the midst of his 4 corners tour right now & is running the Spot. I must admit it is cool to be able to follow the ride. I can see how the guys who do a lot of single riding would put their loved ones at ease with this device.

Thanks for the details in case others want to get one.

Good luck, ride safe & we'll be sure to follow along.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Take us along even if it's only a blip on a Google map. Right now Rapier is a bit south of Burlington, WA. Blaine , WA is his destination for the second stop on the Four Corner Tour ride.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isaac our member Rapier is in the midst of his 4 corners tour right now & is running the Spot. I must admit it is cool to be able to follow the ride. I can see how the guys who do a lot of single riding would put their loved ones at ease with this device.

Thanks for the details in case others want to get one.

Good luck, ride safe & we'll be sure to follow along.
Hey Bill, yes I see that Rapier is doing the SPOT thing too. I have had this in the mill for several months now but doctors and family crisis have kept putting it off. I have to have some skin cancer cut out Wednesday, but it ain't gonna stop me this time. I just hope that everyone can see the benefits of others knowing where you are and how your doing on a trip. Yes, I like to travel alone and for me this makes a lot of sense. Doubling up on the camelback to try and make it though this darn heat. Anyway, hope you enjoy the trip.:D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take us along even if it's only a blip on a Google map. Right now Rapier is a bit south of Burlington, WA. Blaine , WA is his destination for the second stop on the Four Corner Tour ride.
Your welcome to come and it won't cost you a dime. :D

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Isaac ole buddy. Since you are having that procedure I thought I would post this idea for you. I don't know if you can pick one of these up before you leave but I can tell you that you won't be sorry if you can. The little lady & I wore them all through your parts last year in 100+ days & we love them. When coming to stop you will always sweat bullets in that heat (as you guys down there know) but once we were moving the moisture just wicks away & evaporative cooling takes place. You my friend should own one especially with what you're having done. Seriously try to find one before you leave.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/319_firstgear/22042_firstgear_tpg_basegear_stay_cool_unisex_l_s_shirt/?goto=/pgroup_list/apparel/319_firstgear/mfg/?page=5

In addition to that our member Snuffcity has a couple of these babies that he takes along with him. I use one when out in the yard but I'll bet it works great in conjuction with the UV shirt.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/?cooling/details/CP100

Ride Safe we'll be watching.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isaac ole buddy. Since you are having that procedure I thought I would post this idea for you. I don't know if you can pick one of these up before you leave but I can tell you that you won't be sorry if you can. The little lady & I wore them all through your parts last year in 100+ days & we love them. When coming to stop you will always sweat bullets in that heat (as you guys down there know) but once we were moving the moisture just wicks away & evaporative cooling takes place. You my friend should own one especially with what you're having done. Seriously try to find one before you leave.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/319_firstgear/22042_firstgear_tpg_basegear_stay_cool_unisex_l_s_shirt/?goto=/pgroup_list/apparel/319_firstgear/mfg/?page=5

In addition to that our member Snuffcity has a couple of these babies that he takes along with him. I use one when out in the yard but I'll bet it works great in conjuction with the UV shirt.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/?cooling/details/CP100

Ride Safe we'll be watching.
Thanks Bill, I wish I had thought of that earlier. I will get one or both of those items and I may have them shipped to me in Colorado. My son has a cool vest and I may steal...oops, I mean borrow it for the trip. I have used my "drool and cool" method for years. Suck up a mouth full of water out of the camel back and then drool away letting it run down my chest. Sounds goofy but it works for the most part. The one drawback is that people think you've gone mad if you happen to do it at a traffic light. Thanks for the links.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
"I have used my "drool and cool" method for years. Suck up a mouth full of water out of the camel back and then drool away letting it run down my chest. Sounds goofy but it works for the most part. The one drawback is that people think you've gone mad if you happen to do it at a traffic light. Thanks for the links."[/QUOTE]

Drooling at the traffic light sounds like a good idea to me. Cagers would be more likely to give you space.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I will be looking in on you. Thanks for the link.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Have a great trip and know that you have friends following your journey.

I have learned quite a bit about the spot lately and might consider one if I ever take a dual sport adventure ride by myself.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Sounds like a great ride, enjoy yourself. My wife bought me a Spot last fall to take hunting (just in case) but could never get the blasted thing to lock on to a satellite. Maybe I'll have better luck this year.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a great ride, enjoy yourself. My wife bought me a Spot last fall to take hunting (just in case) but could never get the blasted thing to lock on to a satellite. Maybe I'll have better luck this year.
OK, you have my curiosity peaked now. When you say "locked onto a satellite", it implies that you expected the blinking lights to stop blinking and stay steady on. At least to me thats what I am hearing you say. Remember, it transmits in the "blind" and the only time the lights go steady (4 or 5 seconds) is when it is transmitting position data. The rest of the time, both lights just blink in unison. And that only happens once every 10 minutes. So, I am assuming that the lights are NOT blinking in unison but alternating one to the other. I'm sure you probably already knew all this and maybe a call to SPOT would be in order.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Looking forward to following your trip. Please send some of that cool Colorado weather down here to Texas.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Two days and a wake up to go.
Yep, all she needs now is a fill up and plexus on the windshield and we'll be ready to roll. Yesterday my son bought me a cool vest (Bilt model) and I have been testing it out. It soaked up 4 pints of water but I think its gonna work fine. Probably gonna look like the Grapes of Wrath rolling down the highway, but I should be OK. I've done this in May and June before but never in this kind of heat. I just remember that "going" is great but coming back is the pits. Anyway, almost ready....:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Houston....We have Lift Off.... Hope to check in on you guys later...:D

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
It's working guys, Don't forget to check on the DreamWeaver he is almost into the town of Lometa Tx. as I type. Cool stuff with the SPOT. Rapier in the North & Isaac in the South.

Ride Safe Guys.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts