Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a speedometer issue? I went with a friend Saturday who rides a Yamaha Venture. He started to back way off as we rode back to our starting point about 30 miles from home. I kept an eye on his headlight to be sure he wasn't having problems, but he stayed just in sight.

The next day, I saw him at work. He asked how many tickets I have on my 2010 Goldwing... After a little discussion, he insists his speedometer was checked fairly recently. He says I was going 75 in a 55. I had the cruise set on 62. Mmmmm.... I know I can check it with the wife's car, etc... Just wondering if anyone has something like this with it being that far off??:eek:

·
Premium Member
23,759 Posts
This would contradict all observation , and complaint, that the speedometers register higher than the actual miles/ hour.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
His is probably wrong, The 1800's read about 4 to 5 MPH fast at about 60 MPH and up. showing 62 on the speedo actually speed was about 58 MPG. but the 2009 & 2010 Gold Wings had the speedo corrected.

·
Administrator
26,226 Posts
If you are really concerned, ask a trouper to clock you with his radar. He'll likely advise you to travel at exactly 60 mph (or whatever speed limit you may have) and then take a reading as you pass. I've had the RCMP do this for me on several vehicles due to tyre upgrades and concerns about associated speedo errors. All were more than happy to oblige and I was actually thanked a couple time for being road concious.

·
Super Moderator
9,867 Posts
Either his Speedometer is off, or if he was traveling at 55 and was falling back, he would have to speed up to catch up. If you have a GPS check your speed with it. If you don't have one borrow a friends and double check speed. You should be within 4-5%..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After Much Debate

Well, my wife was following me home from the gym one day, and she started to fall back. I had my speedometer pegged right on 60. She is a leadfoot, so I knew that something wasn't right. I had resigned to the fact that I would have to adjust my riding until I could get the speedometer checked at the dealer.

Well, last week I stopped by the dealer to have the tires aired. All of the gas stations with air hoses on my way home have chucks that are too large to fit on the valve stem inside the rim.

Believe it or not, they had a young kid take the bike into the back of the shop and air the tires. I thought it was ok since that isn't a mechanical task. He is one of those they have around to shuttle bikes in and out of the service department.

Well, he brought it back out and asked about the rear tire touching the ground when I have the bike on the center stand. He put it up on the stand and tried to turn the tire. I was firmly on the ground and wouldn't spin. They had a bike in the delivery area, that was on the center stand. The tire was about 2 inches off the ground. So, the service manager came out and took a look.

If you remember back when we were at the end of our trip, "Throught the Midwest and East," we picked up a nail in the back tire. They put the wrong size tire on the rear of the bike.

They changed out the tire (I put over 4000 miles on it). I haven't had my wife check my speed, but when I ride at 60 most cars are keeping up these days.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Badg, The gentleman that started the company I work for used to tell us as Servicemen. "Sometimes you need to listen to the dummy." What he meant by that was as Professionals, people sometimes look for complicated things where as this young guy just looked at the obvious. Pretty cool, I take it they didn't charge you anything to make it right.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I was wondering, Badger....... How was the ride on the wrong tire ? Hmmm.................
Oh no, I see visions of the dark side. :eek:

·
Registered
689 Posts
To check the spedo you can 1. borrow a gps if you dont have one and check the differance or, using a stop watch (Get help for safety sake) and find out how long it takes to ride a mesured mile in seconds at a steady speed. Then devide 3600 by the seconds to get the actual speed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering, Badger....... How was the ride on the wrong tire ? Hmmm.................
The ride wasn't too bad, but the bike seemed a little more unstable than usual at slow speed when rolling to a stop. I mentioned in another thread that the shimmy in the front end was new around the same time the tire was changed. Now, that shimmy is gone. I had a vibration and hum in the front end which has gone away, too.

And, yes, they did not charge me for the tire or labor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts