Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on the forum that the plastic gear can strip and the speedo always reads zero. I'm having a different problem and was wondering if anybody had ran into it. At 55mph my speedo is reading 75. It seems that anything over 30 the bike starts adding mph. Any help would be appreciated. My bike is a 1987 aspencade.

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
I can't remember what the speedo on the 87 is, Analog or digital. If it's digital, try Disconnecting the negative terminal of the Battery and allowing everything to reset. It works on my 04 Impala when the speedo or tac get goofy. Can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The speedometer on the Aspy is digital. The speed sensor is mounted on the front wheel. The gear in the front wheel basically spins a magnet and pulses are picked up by the sensor mounted on the gear box. The sensor itself is no longer available. It's possible that the gear is "chattering in the gear box. You could take it apart (remove the front wheel) and check the gear for abnormal wear or lack of lubrication. It can also be a problem with the voltage getting to the sensor or getting to the speedometer assembly. Check the plugs for corrosion.
Here is a link for the entire assembly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382394691198?rmvSB=true

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas. It does seem like this started after I put a new front tire on but could have been doing it before. I'm normally on back roads with just me and the wing so I just ride at my comfortable speed. The only reason I realized it now is because I was following my wife in her car. I knew she wasn't doing over 60 with our kid in the car on a 2 lane but my bike was reading between 70 and 80. I'll check the electrical connections and make sure there isn't any corrosion on them. Sure hope I don't have to take the wheel off again!

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Get a Garmin and then you'll have accuracy...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a Garmin and then you'll have accuracy...
That's what I've decided to do at this point. My phone has a GPS speedo on it and it's dead on with the roadside speed readouts around town. As a bonus it only covers the speedo and I can still read the rest of my gauges. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I think I found my problem. 30 years of riding seem to have rubbed a hole in the insulation on the wires leading to the sensor. The wires are almost rubbed apart to. I'm going to cut out the corroded section and solder in fresh wire. May not be the problem but it can't be helping the situation.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts