Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I took my bike ('08 nav/abs) for a ride yesterday with my gps in hand to check how accurate the speedometer was. The result was not very accurate. At 70mph indicated I was actually going right at 67, and at 75mph indicated I was actually going right at 71. It may not seem like much, but it annoys the heck outta me. It should be dead on just like my 4 wheeled vehicles. I have heard that the '09 and 2010 models have this corrected. Is this true? Has anyone with a 2009 or 2010 model checked their speedo against a gps to verify? If they did correct it, I would like to see if I could purchase whatever components Honda changed in those models and install it in my bike to get the error out and make it read what I'm actually doing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
All GL1800's 2001 thru 2008 have this problem. Some are off more than that.
My 08' Airbag with a new set of Bridgestone 60 series is off about 2.5 mph at 60. Supposedly running a 70 series tire on the rear puts the speedo dead on and lowers the RPM's about 300 or so at in 5th.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Your problem is not uncommon for model years 2008 and earlier. I have a 2009 and my speedometer reads 60 and my gps reads 59. It seems at every speed I'm about 1 mph higher on the Wing. I believe there is some kind of a fix, but I don't remember what it is. Maybe Joe-in-Calf will remember if he reads this post. Or if you do a search on the net you may find it.

The other problem is that the speed difference affects the total miles on the bike over the long haul.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have an 08 with the same problem. I simply put on a 70 series Dunlop E3 tire on the rear and my speedo reads exact. I also benefited from more cornering clearance as the 70 series gives me mre ground clearance. Unfortunately, you have to wait until your rear tire is gone. Lend it to me for 3,000 miles and I'll wear it down for you, no charge.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've never actually checked my '09 but I'm reasonably certain that it's a tad liberal on the readout too. I've been 'flashed' by the RCMP several times while riding at an indicated 120 kph (just under 75mph) and never been pulled over. typically, the Leos pull you over at 15 k over or more. I'm going to check mine with one of my airplane units this coming season. Aside from the increase on the bikes clock over time, it's kind of a nice comfort zone build-in to have that extra 2-3 mph in your hip pocket just in case you get a bit ham fisted on the open road.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Wow ! I wouldn't let 3 or 4 MPH. worry me . I figure i have more important things to worry about when i am out on the road with a bunch of nuts in cages !! lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wow ! I wouldn't let 3 or 4 MPH. worry me . I figure i have more important things to worry about when i am out on the road with a bunch of nuts in cages !! lol
I disagree. All those miles that you are being robbed of add up! Why should I be content with a speedo error that makes my bike show 70,000 miles on the ODO when I really only traveled 65,000 miles?
What about when the warranty is up and it really isn't because the ODO shows more mile than you actually traveled?

Some of these guys have speedo's that are 4-5 mph off and all in the wrong direction. On my bike for example. If I ride 100 miles according to the ODO, I really only rode about 96 miles. Do that every day and over a year, I get screwed out of around 1420 miles a year.
It all ads up and when it comes time for warranty work or time to sell it, that matters a lot!

So while I am not really worried about it because I am among the many thousands of wing owners that have this issue that Honda refused to correct for 9 years, I do not think that it is "no big deal"!

If I were to "roll back" the ODO on any vehicle, it is illigal. But when Honda makes a product and knowingly sells it to me "Knowing" that it is "rolling the odo forward", that is bullchit!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
The Honda warranty is about date of coverage, not about miles ( although miles may be a consideration in a warranty dispute). My next rear tire I plan on running a 195/55/ 16: a wider foot print with a smaller height. My speedo should be a lot more off than it is now. Bummer.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Honda warranty is about date of coverage, not about miles ( although miles may be a consideration in a warranty dispute). My next rear tire I plan on running a 195/55/ 16: a wider foot print with a smaller height. My speedo should be a lot more off than it is now. Bummer.
I'm all about lowering the RPM's I have a spare wheel I am going to mount a car tire on that will be the equivalent of a 70 series.
Most of my miles are interstate and my average speed is probably 90 mph to and from work if I am not in traffic.

But it does PO me that Honda took so long to fix the issue!

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Darn ! I think i will find me a good steep mountain and trailer the bike to the top and then ride it down backwards a few times a month . : ) If i can get enough speed i may go back in time ! Seriously, can the cable be disconnected occasionally to compensate for the difference and will it affect anything else if you do ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Darn ! I think i will find me a good steep mountain and trailer the bike to the top and then ride it down backwards a few times a month . : ) If i can get enough speed i may go back in time ! Seriously, can the cable be disconnected occasionally to compensate for the difference and will it affect anything else if you do ?
There is a fix for it. I think it's called "speedo healer" or something like that. It is not enough of an issue to me to try and fix it. But I do feel like Honda put the screws to thousands of wing owners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not freaking out over it, I just don't like looking at my speedo and then doing the mental calculation for how fast I'm really going - that's crap. Every bike I've ever had that was a street bike has had the error in it. I just saw some posts where it was mentioned that the '09 and '10 models have it corrected. My thought was that if I could just replace a speed sensor or other electronic component and it would fix it, that would be great. I've thought about the speedo healer and will probably go that route if I cannot get oem peices to do it with.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I know it not quite the same because of the age of my 1984 1200. But my speedo is out about the same as yours. Showing 75mph I am really doing 70mph. Showing 40mph is really 38mph. There are some advantages:

1. I have brought a bike showing it had covered 75000 miles, but has only covered 70000 miles

2. The kids will think I am going faster than I really am.

3. I will get more miles out of my tires.

Disadvantage:
1. Convincing Vanessa that I am not speeding by that much.

2. When I go to sell the bike, the mileage my scare buy's off

So for me all I want to know is how fast I am really going and I can understand if you have a newer bike it will be more important to you. Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
This comes up. In a group ride Sunday the leader "set his cruise for 70" but we were really going 66. At least according to my speedometer, which also agreed with my gps. There were a lot of cages and even trucks passing us. I plan on pulling him aside this week and letting him know about the difference. That's also probably why a few people think I ride fast. I'm usually 2 to 4 over the limit and it looks 10 over to them.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Crownfire: I know exactly what you are saying. Sometime ago I went for a ride with my brother and his speedo was 6mph out. He was as happy as a pig in s..t and I was like a steam loco. Steam was coming out of both ears. I don't mind when some-one is riding to their abillity and they are on the slow side. But he could ride to the speed limit but wouldn't because he thought he was. I told him that I wasn't going to ride like an old grandpa and that I didn't think he was capable of doing our around Australia trip. I offered him a gps unit to check his speedo and he wouldn't let me put it on his bike. Then low and behold the next time we went out he was a totally different rider. Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
what tire?

BUZZY I live in The Woodlands, we are next-door neighbors. I too took this approach. I have a 195-65-16 RF on order at Discount Tire (the one at Sawdust). It should be here Monday. The manager wanted $165, but would take $145 if I brought a copy of the Tire Rack ad showing the $145 price.

·
Registered
466 Posts
BUZZY I live in The Woodlands, we are next-door neighbors. I too took this approach. I have a 195-65-16 RF on order at Discount Tire (the one at Sawdust). It should be here Monday. The manager wanted $165, but would take $145 if I brought a copy of the Tire Rack ad showing the $145 price.
Thanks for the heads up Troy. But I don't look to buy a CT till later in the summer. I have too much on my plate right now and need to slow down my spending a little!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts