Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Interstate with 130/90 - 16 Metzler Marathon front tire.
This is the proper size front tire according to the Honda label on frame. This bike is new to me so I have never tried another tire.
I also have a GPS mounted on the handlebar and today I was surprised when I checked my speed.
Speedometer reading 70 to 71 mph, actual speed 65mph (GPS).
Has anyone else experienced their speedo being this far off?
I'm actually considering buying a bigger front tire.
Any ideas on size?
Richy

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That is common on most Honda Gold Wings, the 1800's are off by about 4 or 5 MPH at that speed also. I put a 70 series tire on the back (stock is 60 series) and it corrected the speedo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You changed the "rear tire"? I guess the 1800 has a sensor on the final drive?
I'm old school with the GL1200i, but I'm thinking I have a speedo drive cable that attaches to the speedo gears that are near front axle. So I will need to change front tire to taller tire.
I'm still new and learning about my 1200 and never had another Goldwing. So go easy on me if I am wrong.
Richy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You are right about the speedo mounted on the front! I have a 85 interstate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking of installing a 140/90-16 on front, but the Metzler is only available in a Rear tire that size. I've found other tires that have a front that size but they are unknown brands to me.

This will only correct about 3% so I will still be 5% off. Not worth changing tires

Maybe I could just place a corrected overlay on top of the original, but not sure of difficulty to open up the speedo. Maybe I could buy a used one and give it a try.

Gee maybe I could start selling corrected speedometers for the 1200?

Another thought I have is making a clear corrected overlay to place on top of the speedo glass. Easy to apply. Just get GPS and then go 60mph and place dot where 60mph is apply new overlay with 60mph in correct position

·
Registered
12 Posts
speedo correction

Not sure if I am talking for everyone here, but most of the GW drivers I know don't sweat the difference....we know we're 5 or so off, so adjust mentally... if your using the GPS then set your speed using that.... it really does not make any difference if the speedo is a bit optimistic.... also as a side benny it makes you less likely to get a piece of paper from the local Gendarmes.

capn

I do not kmow if it istill available but there is an electronic device you can add to your system that will allow you to compensate for it...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
An all too common discussion with Honda Sabres. They are off by 10% .
I work in automotive engineering (that means I am pretty good at guessing and not much more). Anyway, my guess is that Corp. Honda does this on purpose for fear of a law suit. Imagine a lawyer finding out they're client was going faster than they tho't. Lawyers would be all over them. I back this theory up with the fact that Honda warranties are on time not miles. Again, the public would complain if they were being cheated out of miles so I think they are aware of it and won't change anytime soon.

It is aggravating at some level. I used to keep subtracting 7 if going 70 or 5 if going 50. After awhile, I just go with the flow and not worry. We all drive 5 or 10 over in NC so I drive 10 to 15 over on the bike if I feel the need.

BTW, there is no law requiring any automobile manuf. to be accurate. Industry standard is to be accurate + or - 3 %. Most cars are pretty close today. Never heard a response from Honda and would love to replace my opinion with facts.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
LMAO!! You sound like the engineers I have to deal with every day! Smart but not always practical!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Honda did the same thing with their cars and had to fork out a lot of money for ending customers warranties early. It turned out that the cars didn't have as many miles on them as the odometer claimed. It was too far off the industry standard to claim that they were accurate. Many years ago Honda Motors was sued and lost this one. Maybe that is why they now use time instead of miles?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
LMAO!! You sound like the engineers I have to deal with every day! Smart but not always practical!!
One of my wife's Pharmacy friends is married to an engineer; she says he's practical, but not too smart!
Oversize tyres wil reduce the indicated speed on the clock, but you have to watch things like fender clearance etc. Most roads these days you end up going with the flow pretty much anyway. Keeps the active Leo's off your tail, but those pesky cameras aren't so forgiving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pesky Cameras in Texas, except for Red light camers in a few cities.
I have a tendancy to push the limit and watch my mirrors a lot. I prefer to have a few cars or trucks moving faster than me and will gladly let them by if they approach from the rear.
Speedometers that are inacurate by this much are just plain poor engineering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts