Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Speedometer quit working on my 98 SE the other day.Is probably the cable.How much work is there to changing it ?? I was told that I have to remove the faring etc to replace it !! All i should have to replace is the internal piece, not the whole sheath that goes up to the back of the speedometer , AM I correct ???

Thanks
Bearcat

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Not sure exactly about your question regarding the actual cable however I had to change the headlight switch/harness & literally ended up taking the whole fairing apart to get the task done.

Check out the link below to see what I mean.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
As said in the last post, you can get it from the front wheel, but if it all doesn't come out and you need to replace the outer sheath also you can get to it from under the dash, small hands help but it can be done without removing anything. I did it on a friends 89 years back, I think we reached up under the fairing from in front of the bike.
Your better off to get the complete unit, that way it has proper lube on it. They are not expensive

44830-MN5-000 CABLE, SPEEDOMETER 0 $18.15

44831-MN5-000 CABLE (INNER) 0 $6.27

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Atta boy Joe!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Had my speedo drive take a dump in Ft. Mills, SC two years ago. Bought a new drive and cable assy. Yes you can reach under the speedo to disconnect it. Can be a PIA the first time you try it. If I remember correctly, there was a small ball or disc on the cable to help hold it up in the casing so it may be a little tought to pull the cable down from the speedo drive, might have been in there for assembly puposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.