Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On BikeZ it is posted that the GL1500 has gone from 30.1" seat height in 1997 to 29.1" in 1998. Is this true? May seam unimportant but this is very interesting when you have a 30" inseam.

Goldwing wanter from PNW

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
1st off, Welcome to the GWOF.

Now here we go. I think your data may be correct, however I think the 1998's got a little heavier as well. Not a big deal but just conversation. As to options there are many for shorter riders. Here are a few:

Custom Saddles, Hartco makes a low boy seat (gets you closer to ground) Other seat manufactures do as well.
http://www.hartcoseats.com/covers.html

Another option is this.
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

A 3rd option for vertically challenged is this.
http://www.tallmenshoes.com/

Hope this helps & good luck on your search, by the way once you get used to the big girl she handles like a dream.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello araelty, welcome to GWOF. all wings for '98 got the new and improved seat that was lower in height on the aspencade and se

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Yes it's true. The 98 1500 seat was lower by 1 inch. I know because I had one.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Actually in 1995 Honda changed the seat and the side covers, The front of the seat was a little narrower and the side covers dipped in a little to give the rider a straight line to the ground when putting their feet down. In 1998 and 1999 Honda changed the passenger backrest and did 2 tone on the seat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Florida. Check out GoldWing history sites on Google. 2 i looked at mention the '95 change Joe spoke of. Also,in other threads here,you will find info. on shoes/boots that will aid you. Ride often and safe. '94SE

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try a custom made seat and boots with a thicker sole, suspension mods should be the last thing you do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a second I thought the tall men shoes thing was a joke. I'm definitely looking into that. I currently have a Bandit 1200 and I have lowered the suspension on that and then raised it back up. I would very much like to avoid lowering. I will be looking at a 1998 GL1500SE on Friday.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome Araelty. If you are looking at the Wing on Friday, you should be able to tell right away if there are any ground reach isues for you. Throw a leg over that rascal and check it out real good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 98 GL1500 and a 30 inch inseam which seldom gives me any problems. You do have to watch for low spots when stopping or moving the bike under foot power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts