Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I heard the song (Sentimental Journey)From the 40ty's and 50ty's
Took me back to a smoke filled Airmen's Club at the 922 AC&W Squadron, Cartwright, Labrador (U.S Air Force Early warning Radar site)July 1962 -July 1963.
When someone was going to rotate back to the States the next day they would dedicate Sentimental Journey to who ever was leaving over the on site radio station.
I could almost smell the smoke and the beer of the Airmens Club and hear the cheers for the lucky Short Timer that was going home the next day.
When we hit the 30 day mark we were give a ribbon ( Short Timers Ribbon) it was marked in 30 one inch section. Everyday we'd got to cut the day before off.
Funny how something like a song can bring back memories for times past

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I can still remember climbing into the Chopper for my home bound ride into Goose Bay. Man that was a long time ago.
And THANKS AGAIN
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Ron,
You explained what I tried to explain many years ago to my boys. They didn't "get" why I played old songs. I told them that songs carry you back in time, usually to a fond memory, where you can almost taste or smell it as if you were there.

I don't claim to understand it but I do get it. Glad you made it back. Thanks for your service and glad you are a part of this forum.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I found this forum.
Made some great friends and had some good times. during my years in Air Force
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Glad I found this forum.
Made some great friends and had some good times. during my years in Air Force
Ron
I still keep in touch with a few of my ordnance buddies. One lives in Hew Hampshire and the other in Tacoma, WA. That was 35 years ago . We found each other on Facebook.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chopin, we live about 150 north of Tacoma, Wa.

A group from my last assignment Detachment 3 601 Tactical Control Squadron ( Mobile forward air control Radar) Sembach, AFB Germany Oct. 1967 - Oct 1970 have hooked up through Classmates.com. I've only been able to get together with one face to face, but it's still nice to hear from them from time to time.
Some good time with some great guys
Ron

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you for your service Ron. My father was a POW in Vietnam and has never been the same since. Your post is well received!!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rigginray6
I Salute your Father. I can't imagine what he went through.
Veteran: All gave some, Some gave ALL.
From the Northwest corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Chopin, we live about 150 north of Tacoma, Wa.

A group from my last assignment Detachment 3 601 Tactical Control Squadron ( Mobile forward air control Radar) Sembach, AFB Germany Oct. 1967 - Oct 1970 have hooked up through Classmates.com. I've only been able to get together with one face to face, but it's still nice to hear from them from time to time.
Some good time with some great guys
Ron
Born in Seattle myself. Dad joined the Navy and was stationed at Whibdey Island doing Air Traffic Control. That's how I ended up here in the Washinton, D.C. area back in 1966.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ron, if you're of Scottish blood and are a of Clan Donnachaidh (http://www.donnachaidh.com), it is very well possible that we're distantly related!

Rapier
US Army 1976-1990

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange world Chopin, I grew up in Allentown, Pa. and came out to Northwest Washington when I was assigned to the 757 A.C. & W. Squadron at Blaine. Met my wife spent 4 years at Blaine, then 3 years with Det. 3 Sembach Germany, then took my discharge after 9 1/2 years. Then move back out here to Washington
Ron

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
Strange world Chopin, I grew up in Allentown, Pa. and came out to Northwest Washington when I was assigned to the 757 A.C. & W. Squadron at Blaine. Met my wife spent 4 years at Blaine, then 3 years with Det. 3 Sembach Germany, then took my discharge after 9 1/2 years. Then move back out here to Washington
Ron
This is strange Ron. I saw this thread & read without chiming in til now. My Dad was Radar Ops for 23 years. Mom was a WAF that's how they met. Us kids were Brats, Born & grew up in many different places & here's another fact. I live in Schulykill County 50 miles from Allentown Pa. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fossil92
Were just back in the Allentown Area in June, rode back on the wing, spent a week at my sister's place in Catasauqua, visiting with family. Always got to load up on real Steak Sandwiches, while we are there.
From the Northwest Corner.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rapier:
One of my Aunts traced our family back to a James Robertson of Wanlockhead, Dumphries Sct. Sanquahar Parish Sct. born Jan3,1801.
My Dad was raised in Coal mining area in Inkerman, Luzerne County, Pa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts