Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the motorcycle stops hot and then the spark does not follow, I leave the link of a video of mine so you can see what happens to me, could this be a spark problem or an electrical component?

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
What year is your GL?
First place to start would be the grounds for the coil packs. To do this, you will need access to the coil packs, with the kill switch in the run position turn on the ignition switch and measure the voltage between the black/yellow wire (+) and the ground wire (-), you should measure battery voltage, if you do not see battery voltage, ( in other words, if the reading is lower) check the grounds for the coil packs, they could be corroded.

Do you get a "Fault indicator" light on the dash, if so what is the code. A faulty cam sensor or crank sensor will cause this condition also.

Reactions: Buenafuente1

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is your GL?
First place to start would be the grounds for the coil packs. To do this, you will need access to the coil packs, with the kill switch in the run position turn on the ignition switch and measure the voltage between the black/yellow wire (+) and the ground wire (-), you should measure battery voltage, if you do not see battery voltage, ( in other words, if the reading is lower) check the grounds for the coil packs, they could be corroded.

Do you get a "Fault indicator" light on the dash, if so what is the code. A faulty cam sensor or crank sensor will cause this condition also.
Hello, my goldwing is 89, I do not get any error code on the board, I will try to take current measurements of the coils to see what it gives me, thank you very much

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But that does it to me after being idle for 4 minutes without problem and it stops suddenly, being hot it fails like this

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
But that does it to me after being idle for 4 minutes without problem and it stops suddenly, being hot it fails like this
It’s not unusual for an electrical component to fail when they get hot due to expansion at the weak point. I’ve sent could do this many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s not unusual for an electrical component to fail when they get hot due to expansion at the weak point. I’ve sent could do this many times.

But it is very difficult for all 3 coils to fail at the same time, right?

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
This is the first video I made, here you can see the beginning of the problem from minute 4
As someone mentioned before I would look for a common connection (ground for example) that could be failing when hot. These are tough to troubleshoot and taking a systematic approach and not slipping around is the key. Do you know if the spark stops on all the plugs?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As someone mentioned before I would look for a common connection (ground for example) that could be failing when hot. These are tough to troubleshoot and taking a systematic approach and not slipping around is the key. Do you know if the spark stops on all the plugs?

Yes, it stops and it fails the same in all

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year is your GL?

I checked the coils and they all give a value of 11'75

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Do all of your spark plugs do the same thing as shown in the video? The next thing to check is your pulse generators, they send information to the ECU and the ECU fires the coils.

Here is a diagram on how to check your pulse generators.

It worth a check, if they check okay then the issue may lay in the ECU.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do all of your spark plugs do the same thing as shown in the video? The next thing to check is your pulse generators, they send information to the ECU and the ECU fires the coils.

Here is a diagram on how to check your pulse generators.

View attachment 275032

It worth a check, if they check okay then the issue may lay in the ECU.
ok I'll check it, anyway I bought an ECU in case it's wrong, and if it's okay I'll have a replacement

1 - 13 of 13 Posts