Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '98 Aspencade and luv it. Also have a '02 Shadow Sabre 1100. 70 yr. old retired Baptist minister and wife just now wants to begin riding with me...figure that one!!!
Busy getting chrome, cb radio, intercom headset, boards, etc.
Give me some tips on oil change. What type of oil should I use, how often, which filters? Any inherited problems with this year? Have 126K on it.
Oh, anyone got any painting done. I have the R176C Candy Spectra Red.
I have been to Steve's site also.
Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Digger,
Welcome to GWOF from North Carolina.

I am a version of your description just shook up in a bottle.
I have a 95 Wing
an 06 Sabre
and a PK.

You will get a lot of opinions with oil and filters. If you try real hard, the best you can hope for is delirum or confusion. I recommend you use honda oil and filters for now and follow their instructions for changes. Then filter (excuse the pun) the information and you then have time to evalutate it and make a clear decision. This will keep you from having regrets down the road.

As for painting, any paint shop bike or auto can get the correct paint and repair what is needed.

Good luck and let us a little more about where you are and your new adventures.

Ride safe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome aboard GoldDigger.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under.Tell us about your trips with photos. It give us that have never been there a idea what you have seen. Eric

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Florida.
I change the oil on my Wing every 2500 miles and use Honda GN4 oil with an OEM filter.
Watch the charging system 1996 to 2000 had alternator problems, if it goes 'South' upgrade to a Compufire. A service manual is a must get a Honda Factory Service Manual and a set of Illustrated Powersports DVD's for maintenance of the GL-1500; www.illustratedpowersports.com .

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa and congrats on your new Wing. Glad you found us. Enjoy the site and ride safe...
Don't remember the oil changes intervals on the 1500, but the 1800 is 8k. Most guys don't go that long. If you can find out what the previous owner used for oil, I would stay with that. If you are going to change to a different oil or can't find out what was previously used, some use dino, some use a blend and some use full synthetic.

I change mine every 5k and use Honda synthetic blend and Honda filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts