Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to head south in early Sept.
Does anyone have any suggestions as where to visit in South Dakota.
Oh ya i am riding from northern Alberta.
Trip will be about 9 days.
thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
Hi WC,

Your timing should be perfect for a ride in the Black Hills (Paha Sapa in the Lakota language) with nice weather and not the mob of Sturgis, which I'm attending for the first time this year. Not my cup of tea but family duties require it. I've always wanted to ride the Badlands in SD, too, and will on the Sturgis trip for 3-4 hours.

You may want to include Medora, ND on your itinerary, too; Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Supposed to be beautiful and I'm visiting there myself after Sturgis and perhaps the Montana GWOF happening, then heading to Dickinson/Williston and back to MN.

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
Well, it seems odd to ask a Canadian this, but do you like to fish? If so, the Oahe Reservoir in the middle of SD (dammed up Missouri River) is a great fishery.

I visited the Pine Ridge Lakota Oahe Reservation southeast of Rapid City about 50-60 miles several times, staying at Russell Means' (AIM leader and "Chingagook" in Last of the Mohicans) home three times for a total of 5 days and visited Pine Ridge several more times. If you are comfortable with American Indians (as Russell prefers to be called, not "Native Americans") there is great beauty in the rock formations on Pine Ridge, remnants of ejecta from the Yellowston Caldera about 70,000 years ago, same thing that created the Badlands 100-150 miles to the east.

·
Administrator
25,937 Posts
I'd suggest the Badlands as a for sure, and a spin west to the Crazy Horse Monument for sure as well (so it's not in South Dakota but). Rushmore is a maybe depending on the crowd (but I was really disappointed). Sturgis will be quiet that time of year but you should probably go through it to say you did (same as Rushmore I reckon). Rapid City and Deadwood are kinda cool too. The roads are pretty decent riding all through the Black Hills so. It's good to have a plan, but leave room for some spur of the moment stuff.
Maybe we'll hook up one of these fine times WC, I'm an hour and a half north of Edmonton (Athabasca).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I miss riding in that area, I grew up in North East Nebraska, the ride down into the Badlands is great, it can be very windy though, Rapid City area has some great rides going north or south, I remember a nice ride going south out of Sturgis that is worth looking into also.

Leigh

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Where do I start? Northern Hills-Spearfish Canyon, Vonneker Canyon from Sturgis to the Nemo road. A side trip into Wyoming to see Devils Tower. Stay a night or two in Deadwood. 385 is a nice two lane that runs from N to S through the center of the Hills. Southern Hills-Almost all are very good but my favorites are Custer State Park wildlife loop, 87 S out of the park to 385. Iron Mountain road from Hermosa to Keystone and the old Hill City Road from Keystone to Hill City.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Expect traffic in the summer no matter when you visit but crazy during the rally. I am from eastern sd and always avoided the area except one weekend during the rally...... kind of like going to the zoo.

Devils tower, Custer state park, the caves, deadwood, badlands and Mt Rushmore would be my list. Needles, sylvan lake the list goes on but pace your self and just make sure you give yourself enough time to rest between it all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been in that country in 1992
seen rushmore and rodem past devils tower was in a rush had to get home.
want to spend more time there and see some sights.
Your help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I did the USA Four Corners Tour last July, I rode to Little Big Horn Battlefield, Mt. Rushmore, Wounded Knee (a truly sobering place), Crazy Horse Mountain, Badlands and Devils Tower (not in that order obviously). All were awesome places to visit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts