Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site but have been riding Goldwings since I bought my first new one in 1975. My current mount is a 1986 Interstate that I found on eBay five years ago. I love the bike but plan to retire in the next year or so and am presently looking to upgrade to a 2008 - 2010 1800. It seems like anymore the large majority of listings on eBay are dealer offerings and trikes with only an occasional privately owned charmer mixed in. Would like to hear about some good sourcing techniques others have successfully used to find their "new" used cycle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I stumbled across mine (literally) while driving past the dealer on an early April Saturday morning. I was at work, and left there early since I wasn't feeling the greatest, and on the way home, I drive past the Honda dealer. Outside, there was this older 'wing, all white. It was SOOOOO white, it stood out like a sore thumb. I was in the market for a wing, so I drove in to take a look. While I was checking it out, naturally the salesman has to come out and present himself. I was asking about the bike, and he said it was unusual for them to have 3 "big bikes" on the lot at the same time. I looked around, and I saw the white elephant, a Valkyre and ......and..... nothing else. I was puzzled, and asked where the 3rd bike was at, and he pointed to the front row in the lot by the road, and between some other bikes, I could make out the backside of a newer 'wing. I walked over to it, checked it out, and the salesman went to get the keys. I took it for a test drive, came back and told hime to hold it, I'll put $200 down. Went home, told the S.O. what I did, and we both went back to take another look.
Talking to the salesman, he told me that my timing was spot-on, and that while I was gone, there were 3 other inquiries about "the Goldwing that was sitting out front" !!!!! That made my day (if in fact it was true) but none the less, I was the new owner.
I guess what I was getting at, is never say never about the local dealer, sometimes, things work out. Maybe ask the dealer to keep an eye out and let you know if something happens along.
Steve F

Oh, and by the way, Welcome to the site....ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
My first Wing was found on Craigs List. Look at all the major cities in your state as you may have to travel a bit to get one. My second Wing was from direct referral here on this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I Prefer to buy from Ebay Motors. Although, I bought this Wing local, he had just bought it on Ebay.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Found mine on ebay but it turned out the guy was local.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Blackbull, fellow Keystoner here.

3rd the CycleTrader route. Easy website to navigate & some nice bikes.

I found my 86 Nighthawk out your way at a Harley dealer & got a great deal on it.

Oh by the way Welcome to the GWOF. Watch out Texans we've got another Pa. guy in the house.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Go to any dealer, ask them to run a locator on 2008 to 2010 new Wings. You might get lucky and find what you want @ a reasonable enough price brand new!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Have to agree on the places mentioned, but also with dawg's idea on the dealer. Not only could there be non-current new offerings available, but you could find a real sweet trade-in. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey, look, you're trying to buy a VERY popular bike. Be patient. Like you, I was in search of the perfect 'Wing. This was last September. You're right... many have been converted to trikes. I live in central Connecticut and used search tempest to search Craigslist within 300 miles. I knew I wanted an '07 or '08 and like everyone, I wanted a bargain. On that basis, I knew my bike was going to be rural- someone looking to sell in a market where there weren't a lot of buyers.

In abut three weeks I had identified one in Maine but turnEd out the "owner" (and I had to use that word loosely) never transferred the bike into his name so he couldn't sell it to me. Ultimately, found a 2007 burnt orange 2007 with gps, heated grips, 9,500 miles (still a baby!) in Pennsylvania Dutch country. It was immaculate! Burnt orange wasn't my first choice of color. But you know, for $14,500, I learned to love it.

Bottom line? Cast a wide net and be ready to pull the trigger when you find the One.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Well fellow Keystoner. Congrats & let's get some pictures of that Bad Boy on here.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing and welcome to the forum. Stay tuned to the forum for future rides in the Pa, VA, MD, NY areas. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. A few days ago I located a "like new" 2008 pearl white 1800 with airbag, abs, nav, and factory CB with only 4500 miles on it. It was in the back room at a dealer 25 miles from home. The original owner found it was too much to handle and returned it for a new Honda scooter. I wheeled and dealed a few days and ended up paying more then I wanted but it is now at home in my garage. After picking it up yesterday I managed to put 50 miles on it before the snow flurries started.
WooHoo! Good year and choice of color. Twenty even? Good price. I paid $18,000 , 8,400miles, no ABS, CB, air bag, in Nov. 2009. See you in PA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.