Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!
I have a 1985 Interstate that has some drive train issues. A small vibration turned into a rattle and turned into a crunch that made the motorcycle stop going forward. I had someone tell me that the carbs being out of tune could have started the process, but what ever this is isn't making the enging not run.

When it quit, as I was slowing down and trying to get the bike into netural, once I got real slow, the drive train locked up. I used a come-a-long to pull the bike onto my trailer, and in the process, the bike started rolling again.
Any thoughts? Am I looking at having the enging pulled for a major repair, and if so, what should I expect to pay for say a clutch and labor, assuming it's something like that? +- $1000?
Not sure if I will fix it if it's too expencive.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
It sounds to me like you lost the U-Joint. The carbs would have nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
+1 on the u-joint. First thing I'd look at and a fairly cheap fix.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 1100 Shadow, the guy that was putting on my tires wasn't greasing the spines, bought a used final drive on ebay. Changed my own tires after that.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
I doubt you'll have to pull the engine to check out the drive-line. Rear wheel yes and possibly exhaust on that side, but not the engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Any news yet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.