Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan for 2017 is:
To ride from Adelaide up the centre to Uluru, Alice Springs, Darwin, Kimberleys, Broome, Perth, Nullabor and home.
You will get to see the real outback. No long day's of riding sunrise to sunset. Enjoy a BQ at the end of the day and a drink or two. Riding with a small group unsupported, just us and our bike's in the outback.
I want to put it out there, just in case one of my USA mate's may be looking for a Aussie adventure with an Aussie who will do all the leg work for you. I know it is a long way away but you can't say I have just dropped this on you. You have time to start working towards a trip Down Under.
Eric

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Hmmmm. Got a Yank thinking mate.;)

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This trip will go ahead. It is right on top of my bucket list. Even if I go by myself, but I don't think that will be likely. I have been talking to my Aussie riding mate's for a couple of years now and they say they are coming. There is some remote place's that we will go through. One of the most remote part of Australia from Darwin to Broome. When it get's closer, that will be where the planning has to be top notch. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Wow...Uluru (Ayers Rock)...That is def one of my bucket list items. Fellow better be ready for a ride like that.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the things you would see. Uluru, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, MacDonnell Ranges, Mataranka Thermal Pools, Katherine Gorge, Kakadu, Kimberley's, Broome, Exmouth, Shark Bay, Monkey Mia, Bunbury, Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, Nullabor Plains, Ceduna, Pt. Lincoln, Flinders Ranges and Adelaide.
You can't expect to travel around all of Australia and see everything but you will see the outback and I have been to most of these places. So check them out on line and see if this is for you. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Some of the things you would see. Uluru, The Olgas, Kings Canyon, MacDonnell Ranges, Mataranka Thermal Pools, Katherine Gorge, Kakadu, Kimberley's, Broome, Exmouth, Shark Bay, Monkey Mia, Bunbury, Margaret River, Albany, Esperance, Nullabor Plains, Ceduna, Pt. Lincoln, Flinders Ranges and Adelaide.
You can't expect to travel around all of Australia and see everything but you will see the outback and I have been to most of these places. So check them out on line and see if this is for you. Eric
Hey Eric...what is your plan on accommodations (Camping or Hotel)? Thats an outback top 10 list. Most folks want to see Sydney Opera House or the Reef. From a History/Geography majors point of view....Thats a crazy list

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Eric...what is your plan on accommodations (Camping or Hotel)? Thats an outback top 10 list. Most folks want to see Sydney Opera House or the Reef. From a History/Geography majors point of view....Thats a crazy list
I want to Motel/Hotel it most of the way. We may need to carry a small tent, sleeping bag across the top. There are some places where it is very hard to get accomadation. If it looks like we are going to struggle with a bed from Darwin to Broome we will carry a tent and send it back by bus when we are ok with Motel/ Hotel for the rest of the way. Also we may have to carry gas here as well. Needless to say water is a must. There are a lot of little know places that we will see. To see all of this I am planning on 40 day's.Eric

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
I want to Motel/Hotel it most of the way. We may need to carry a small tent, sleeping bag across the top. There are some places where it is very hard to get accomadation. If it looks like we are going to struggle with a bed from Darwin to Broome we will carry a tent and send it back by bus when we are ok with Motel/ Hotel for the rest of the way. Also we may have to carry gas here as well. Needless to say water is a must. There are a lot of little know places that we will see. To see all of this I am planning on 40 day's.Eric
This trip would be like Survivor Australia...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,175 Posts
Sounds like a great ride, might just be a bit to much for these old bones:(. But my spirit will be with you.:)

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea!!! Do you have bikes for us to ride, or would we have to ship our own over? (Cost??)
P.
Motorcycles are very expensive over here. A good 1200 goldwing will be between $6k-$8k. If there was just one bike to cover, I would do that.
As you can see to get bikes for 3 or 4 people is out of the question for me. If we are all riding solo, We will be going on some dirt. As soon as we have a pilion rider it will be nearly all black top.
The thought of someone getting hurt in some of the places we will be going is not a good thought.
We all have plenty of time to work though the issues, if there is someone that is interested in coming along. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Eric--Terri and I plan to retire in four years, so 2017 might just work for us. Keep me in the loop on your plans, and I'll start checking what it would take to get us and the bike there. Sounds like the trip of a life-time.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the moment you can get your bike shipped for 1k one way.
It would make a unique Aussie trip in that you are going to see some of the best that the outback has to offer. And you will have a ball.
This is the Australia I like. It is almost untouched and in it's natural state. I will keep you informed. By giving you plenty of warning it gives you something to worh towards.
So that we miss out on the heat of the red centre, we will leave in late May. When you leave is important. A little bit like the States. Eric

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good luck with the project Eric. It should be a winner.

Wouldnt know whether my bike or me would be capable of it by 2017, but I'll watch with interest. Queenslanders could link up via Mt Isa & Tennant Creek, then coming back from Adelaide could circumnavigate the continent picking up Sydney & the reef for the more conventional tourists.

·
Administrator
26,312 Posts
Sounds like an epic tour Eric. How long would you reckon to do it in? From my past epxerience in Oz, we travelled for a tad over two weeks and only got through Qld from Brisbane to Townsville and back (not counting the week on the dive boat). Crikey, we were in Ireland over two weeks (and it's only 1/3 the size of Alberta) and only got a taste of that. I can only imagine a journey of the size you're planning to do.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will take 6 weeks. There is just so much to see. So you can't tighten it up much without making it into a marathon and I am going to smell the roses so as to speak. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,734 Posts
It will take 6 weeks. There is just so much to see. So you can't tighten it up much without making it into a marathon and I am going to smell the roses so as to speak. Eric
When you hit the mid-west you'll have ample opportunity to smell the dairy- air and you won't even have to stop.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
When you hit the mid-west you'll have ample opportunity to smell the dairy- air and you won't even have to stop.

Dairy-air....one of the best play-on-words I've seen in a long time. Gotta know: did you make that up or steal it?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts