Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while on my trip, I did something that a hate to admit. After my halfway stop I got back on the freeway, and set my cruise for about 75. 55 miles into that run, I looked down at my dash, and I noticed something was not right. My OD light was not on!!! Oh crap, I rode 55 miles at 75 mph in 4th gear. So, what damage do you think I might have done? It ran fine the rest of the way, but I am worried about the damage I might have done.:mad:

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
None.....You didn't go over the red line your fine.....

Mark

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
+1 to Mark's sentiment. That's nothing I wouldn't have done just merging onto an Interstate, just a bit longer that's all.

Look at it this way, you blew some old carbon out of the old girl.:D

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I needed that! I was really worried. Not to mentioned I felt like a dork.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
It's okay anytime BigDork....ehhhh I mean BigDaddy.:eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I think we've all done it at one time or another. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I bet the wing was squealing pretty good

·
Registered
50 Posts
There isn't a whole lot of difference between 4th and 5th gear as far as I can tell. Maybe 20%? So instead of running maybe 3700 rpm you were running maybe 4500? That's still only 75% of redline.

Look at it this way: you just were not running in overdrive, that's all.

Ken

·
Registered
674 Posts
You were just teasing your wing. She can run harder than that.
Funny thing is if you were riding anything else you would have known it.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
To be honest, I'm glad you did it. I love to learn from OTHER folks mishaps.:D;)

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Most likely did it some good to stretch her legs a bit:D

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
5th gear needed a break anyway!! lol. Any actual mpg reading on that?? Oh well,she shouldn't need any Seafoam for awhile!
Just think if we had a 6th gear.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5th gear needed a break anyway!! lol. Any actual mpg reading on that?? Oh well,she shouldn't need any Seafoam for awhile!
If I remember right, I think I got 29mpg on that tank. And that was not my worst mpg on the trip, I got as low as 26mpg. Thats what I get for having the cruise set at 80 almost that whole tank. The next 2 tanks, I set the cruise at 65, and I got 36 and 37mpg.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.