Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the middle of these pictures is where ive been scraping some kind of gunk off the backside of my windshield...

ive been using my thumbnail because im quite certain i wont scratch the acrylic but im wondering A) what it might be, B) what might have caused it and C) how i can prevent it from reoccurring...

the second picture shows the 'residue' as its scraped off. its a powdery substance. it doesnt wash off with aerosol window cleaner and im afraid to try something with ammonia it it. im THINKING of maybe one of those headlight restore kits but again i dont want to scratch the shield any...

any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
1. Road kill 2 driving wing to fast 3 drive faster bugs will miss you

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
It looks like some kind of coating. It's got me stumped. :eek:

·
Registered
515 Posts
looks to me like the coating on the windshield. My 1500 had the same thing going on but not nearly that bad. What's really weird is that you indicate it's on the backside of the shield. What year bike? are you the origianl owner? My thoughts are that it's either chemical induced or sun/weather.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no im owner number 2 (for all intents and purposes, 2 actual had it for less than a year and never had it out of the garage except to wash it off once or twice)...

its a 94 but the rest of the bike looks very very good as far as plastic condition is concerned. it looks like some headlights from that same era start looking after 5-8 years...

i looked at some of the headlight restore kits tonight and almost bought one. they appear to be a polish that is applied then buffed off once dry...

this is almost like a glue residue as if there were tint on the windshield at one time but its VERY evenly spread...

maybe ill just continue to thumbnail it off until the entire thing is clear...

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
My V- Star did the same thing and it has been in the garage for two years ! I am gonna have to replace it !!

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
From your pics it looks like that is not the stock windshield. So it may have had something sprayed onto it for tinting. Whatever it is it is peeling off. JMHO

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
If you get a headlight restore kit try it on a small area on the lower part of the windshild,but it should not scratch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two Wheel,, not to dispute you juri think it is oem...

It has the height adjustment indices on the outer edge that often is absent on replacement "parts"...

Im going to stop and get a restore kit i think. Its the worst part of the bike and it reply isn't bad...

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
You are probably right, but from what I remember of my 98 yours looks bigger, but maybe I've been away from the 1500 too long or I'm having a senior moment. Any way good luck on the clean up. Let us know how you make out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts