Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last week or so I have been researching the prices on older wings. I think I am after something between 1978 to 1984 or thereabouts. Not that I would turn down a wing a few years older or newer, but that is the era of wings I remember fondly from my riding days and was always a bit envious of.

There are two kinds of information I am after. The first concerns what I should look for when I either talk to the seller, or am physically checking out the bike. I seem to see a lot of ads inferring carb work, minor electrical glitches, exhaust, or clutch issues. Are these common problems that are to be expected in an older wing?

The second type of information I need is expected repair costs. Clearly when buying a 30 year old machine the possibility of a few repairs / tuning may be needed before commuter status can be achieved. In short, how much moola should I plan to spend post purchase?

I am a part time instructor at the local Community College so my budget will be pretty tight. I am hoping to have a total cost between 1k and 2k and the cheaper the better. Additionally, in all likelihood I will need to buy this bike over the winter to have ready next spring. So I don't need to buy this in the next two weeks, time, as Mick would say, is on my side.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I would save up my money and watch for a 1500. It is by far the most number of units on the road.... so the used parts are everywhere. It does not have the stator problem and it is a rock solid motorcycle.

I found a 94 1500 Interstate with 30,000 miles on it for $3500. They are around for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry your response made me re-read my post. While I mentioned the year(s) of wings I was interested in I did clearly state my reasoning, (other than lusting after them 30 years ago). So here is a more detailed listing of my criteria.

My budget cannot exceed 2k, anything more than that is simply not feasible. And in reality my wish is to stay much closer to $1500 total cash outlay.

I am not looking for an interstate touring set-up, I am interested in a wing as a reliable commuter. Although I do intend to take short trips either side of Spokane, (Everett and Missoula).

When I was riding daily I had a 1978 Suzuki 550 with a Windjammer, I hope whatever I find has fairing. A rear rack would be nice, maybe even a trunk but, saddlebags and a trailer hitch are nothing I am interested in.

Lastly, I miss riding and am not willing to save for three or more years; I want to be able to ride to work next spring.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
you should be able to find a good running wing with in the years you are looking at for two grand that you'll be able to ride home or anywhere else but do get something needing the fewest repairs. take a look at this http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2411352553.html

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Larry your response made me re-read my post. While I mentioned the year(s) of wings I was interested in I did clearly state my reasoning, (other than lusting after them 30 years ago). So here is a more detailed listing of my criteria.

My budget cannot exceed 2k, anything more than that is simply not feasible. And in reality my wish is to stay much closer to $1500 total cash outlay.

I am not looking for an interstate touring set-up, I am interested in a wing as a reliable commuter. Although I do intend to take short trips either side of Spokane, (Everett and Missoula).

When I was riding daily I had a 1978 Suzuki 550 with a Windjammer, I hope whatever I find has fairing. A rear rack would be nice, maybe even a trunk but, saddlebags and a trailer hitch are nothing I am interested in.

Lastly, I miss riding and am not willing to save for three or more years; I want to be able to ride to work next spring.
Like I said....

Take that shot gun and that old snow mobile and trade it along with the $2000 and get yourself the 1500. lol

Good luck with the hunt. Finding the right bike is half the fun. I bought mine in Walla Walla. I was just over your way this weekend down in Clarkston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts