Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '90 has an irritating habit. When accelerating from a stop, it goes for a half second, then seems to fall on its face for a split second, then all is well all the rest of the way through the revs. Trying to remedy this, I ran a couple tanks with a can of seafoam. Put fresh gas in her, and decided to replace the fuel filter. Got everything removed, changed the filter and started putting everything back. Thinking a second time, I decided to re-remove what little I had already put back and check the air filter while I was in there. Definately dirty, need a new one, and cannot get one till at least tuesday. Anyway, here are my concerns. First, when I was removing the airbox cover, I found 1 of the screws phillips head either corroded or somehow filled in with something, resisting my efforts to pick it out and requiring careful removal with a good pair of channel locks. Guess I'm gonna need to see if I can find a replacement. Anyone know the thread count, size and pitch off hand? Well, I actually need two of them. When pulling the cover off, the top left screw fell out of the hole and went 'tink' somewhere inside the bike. Cannot find it anywhere. I do NOT think it fell into the carbs, as the element was still in there and the cover had only moved a little. This brings up the second question though. From that position where it fell, there is nothing it could have gotten into to cause me trouble if I dont find it, is there? Hoping it'll just find its way to the ground on a future ride. Lastly, since I cannot get a new filter for at least a few days, I'm just leaving the bike disassembled. I did not disconnect the radio/speakers when I removed the top compartment, just slid it down out of the way. I went to slide it back up and put it in place, but it doesn't want to go back on well. Is there some trick to it? It doesn't seem to want to seat all the way down. I have the tabs in the slots on the front, and even reached under and pulled the radio wires around the side so they were not between the flat bottom of the top compartment and the top of the air box. When I push the compartment down onto the studs under the seat to screw it back down, it does not want to sit flush and 'fill the gaps' around the sides. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
So my '90 has an irritating habit. When accelerating from a stop, it goes for a half second, then seems to fall on its face for a split second, then all is well all the rest of the way through the revs. Trying to remedy this, I ran a couple tanks with a can of seafoam. Put fresh gas in her, and decided to replace the fuel filter. Got everything removed, changed the filter and started putting everything back. Thinking a second time, I decided to re-remove what little I had already put back and check the air filter while I was in there. Definately dirty, need a new one, and cannot get one till at least tuesday. Anyway, here are my concerns. First, when I was removing the airbox cover, I found 1 of the screws phillips head either corroded or somehow filled in with something, resisting my efforts to pick it out and requiring careful removal with a good pair of channel locks. Guess I'm gonna need to see if I can find a replacement. Anyone know the thread count, size and pitch off hand? Well, I actually need two of them. When pulling the cover off, the top left screw fell out of the hole and went 'tink' somewhere inside the bike. Cannot find it anywhere. I do NOT think it fell into the carbs, as the element was still in there and the cover had only moved a little. This brings up the second question though. From that position where it fell, there is nothing it could have gotten into to cause me trouble if I dont find it, is there? Hoping it'll just find its way to the ground on a future ride. Lastly, since I cannot get a new filter for at least a few days, I'm just leaving the bike disassembled. I did not disconnect the radio/speakers when I removed the top compartment, just slid it down out of the way. I went to slide it back up and put it in place, but it doesn't want to go back on well. Is there some trick to it? It doesn't seem to want to seat all the way down. I have the tabs in the slots on the front, and even reached under and pulled the radio wires around the side so they were not between the flat bottom of the top compartment and the top of the air box. When I push the compartment down onto the studs under the seat to screw it back down, it does not want to sit flush and 'fill the gaps' around the sides. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
I woulda done what you did - seafoam or equiv, air filter and definitely a new fuel filter. In fact, that is what i also did just last weekend. New plugs may be in order as well. I was surprised to find our bikes recommend them ever 5K mi. I, too, slid the top compartment out of the way and did not disconnect the electrical stuff. I doubt the lost screw will create any problems; it probably went where socks go when you put them into the drier :)

I looked at the manual and did not see the size of the screws for the air cleaner box listed. You may want to remove one of the other 5 remaining ones and take it to your local Lowes or other hardware store. They typically have a screw fitment board with various holes with size/pitch indicated that you can screw a bolt into the see what size it is.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Getting the radio to fit properly, might take a little messing with the wire harness for the radio. it pretty well has put back in the shape it was when you removed the radio. Any other position and things just don't fit right.
Best of luck
From the Northwest corner
Ron

·
Registered
470 Posts
One detail I found out about the cover fitting back on, I changed to a K&N filter, you have to remove both air box seals to get the filter & then the radio cover in place; It just won't sit right unless you do that, I know you are replacing the filter with a stock one..just make sure the seals on the lid/bottom of the air box are not out of place or twisted.

Almost forgot, the 88~90's had an off idle issue..like the one you described; It can be cured with an aftermarket "trigger wheel" or timing wheel, in fact I'm waiting for one right now..it's going in when I change my timing belts. This wheel advances the timing by 4 deg. Supposed to do away with that problem. I got mine from wingstuff..$29.99+shipping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts