Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello wall it's been a long time since I even posted since I bought this beast. I apologize for that and I'll post an update later. BUT

SO THE 1986 GOLDWING ASPENCADE SEI that ain't mentioned in the welcome and general discussions. So running cold she runs pretty good but when she heats up she starts to misbehave sputters backfires so I'm running seafoam through her today and all of a sudden I stalled and she won't start now I'm hoping it's a heating issue I'm not sure maybe somebody can jump in with some theories while I wait. She's cranking but she's not sputtering not trying. Gauge says I have a half tank fuel.

Thoughts or questions?
Thanks.

Scott

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know why I'm saying heating the temperature gauge is 4 bars the reservoirs full.

Super Moderator
Sounds like the Pulse Generator(s) have gone bad. They are known to cause issues when the engine gets warmed up.

Super Moderator
Sometimes they will work after a cool down, until the bike warms back up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Okay that's fair it got me here so I got to figure it may get me home that's it it starts. I managed to muscle it to a shady spot so I'm hoping that that will make it quicker lol.

Super Moderator
I hope it stars after cool down. If it doesn't then a tow may be in order.

Being the SEI may cause other issues, but we'll start with the basics first.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly looking that way. It's been so many years but I have AAA premier with RV and I don't even know if it's those motorcycles LOL. I'm calling right now see how that goes

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I need a good amount of humidity in my life right now so when I stalled it at the light I hit the * engine stop. Now I know it's there even though I've owned the bike for a couple months I've only rode it three times but that's no excuse. The fact of the matter is I'm a dumbass BUT at least I can drive her home. Lmao.

I'll never admit that to the misses tho 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Super Moderator
I need a good amount of humidity in my life right now so when I stalled it at the light I hit the * engine stop. Now I know it's there even though I've owned the bike for a couple months I've only rode it three times but that's no excuse. The fact of the matter is I'm a dumbass BUT at least I can drive her home. Lmao.

I'll never admit that to the misses tho 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔
Been there done that! I will tell you though.....no one gives you a Tshirt for doing it. :ROFLMAO:

Hope the rest of the trip goes better

Premium Member
I have done the same thing wondering why it won't start when it was running like a top before I stopped. My 1800's switch works in both directions, towards you or away from you which my CB750F never did.

Glad to see I'm not the only one this has happened to. We have IDMWT, maybe we need I forgot the emergency switch. IFTES 馃榿

Registered
Hey Zippo - Nice looking Goldwing. If your 1986 fuel injected bike begins to act up, check the status of the self-diagnosis LED lights on the side of the computer. These 5 LED's will blink out a troubleshooting code if there is a repeatable fault or a sensor is out of range.

I've often found that an intermittent "run problem when warm" is from one of three primary sensors used to adjust the fuel injector pulse width. The Water Temp (Not the one used by the Dash Temp Gauge) and Intake Air Temp sensors tell the computer to run Slightly Rich when the engine is cold and Leans the injector pulse out as the engine warms up. If I remember correctly - both Temp Sensor Resistance is a little over 2,000 ohms when cold and about 300 Ohms when warm. Make sure the 2 pins inside their plug in connectors are clean.

Then the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) can cause a slight hesitation (computer mis-calculation) as you open the throttle. The TPS is like the volume control of a radio - except instead of the signal going to speakers, the voltage command goes into the computer. A scratchy type signal sent to a radio speaker is what the computer is seeing. Often some electrical spray cleaner works to flush out the TPS.

As far as your low speed wobble - try alternately standing on each foot peg with the other leg stuck straight out behind you. This will tell you which saddle bag to add some weight - It works for me - Just Kidding ...:)

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

Registered
Glad to hear that it was just the "kill switch" (hey at least you now know that it works) lol............90% of us had this happen to us (at least once)................Just last week I pulled into a restaurant parking lot , (outside eating only ) and saw a couple of guy looking at a bike, all scratching their heads, as I walked by I kinda said : problems, and they said it wouldn't start .... Not wanting to be a smart azz,( cause I was riding a Honda)nor a know everything type of guy, I kinda just mentioned, is the kill switch off, (KINDA KIDDING).......... We'll I was a hero that day, I understand that they were out there for a couple of hours (in the very hot sun) B 4 I arrived....We'll they flipped the switch and that Harley started up.....wow< I never seen happier group of guys, The owner offered to buy me my lunch that day, BUT I didn't take him up on his offer, I was just glad that my guess was the right one..............

Ronnie

Registered
great that you could help. i did something similar with some people at their house, outside deck. all exterior electrical outlets did not work. i went over to one, a Ground Fault Interupptor, pushed the button to reset and like magic, they all worked! I was a hero....because a week earlier i paid an electrician to come to my house and do the same thing!

Registered
Kill switches.. diabolical. I had an occurrence with mine that I don't wish to repeat. I am a new Gold Wing Owner at the time, heading down the highway at about 70 mph, the wife behind me on the passenger seat, three bikes behind me and we are all enjoying the ride. I move my right hand off of the throttle for some reason, maybe just because I can move it since the cruise is engaged. I put my hand back on the throttle and the engine starts to wind down and we are slowing. Tach and speedo needles are starting to go counter clockwise. WTH? What do I do now?

I realize that these new leather gloves, which the fingers never seemed to fit just right, have hit the Kill Switch and knocked it out of the RUN position. I think, oh crap, need to put it back to RUN. So, I switch it to RUN and BOOM!. Sounds like a bomb goes off. Backfire in the pipes cause by the unburnt fuel that has gone through the cylinders and into the mufflers caused the backfire. I look in the mirror to see if my mufflers have fallen off. Luckily, I didn't blow anything off this new bike. Scared the crap out of the wife, me and those behind me.

Needless to say, I have been really careful with that switch since then. I never use it, and have never seen a need to use it. My side stand switch is my kill switch and I use it frequently, especially if I am parked on an incline. Transmission in 1st gear, side stand down, engine is stopped, bike rolled in the direcion of the incline until it stops, key off and in the pocket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts