Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a great deal for the CB & Antenna kit shipped to my door for $640.00. I decided to go ahead & spend the money. I tried to go the Wing Stuff & Direct Line route, but this was the most economical way. All new & Honda Genuine parts. Considering my local dealer wants over $900.00 for this same set up....I'm very happy!

I found it on e-bay from Shawnee Honda a big dealer in Oklahoma. Actually spoke to the parts guy & he was very helpful!

I should have it by next Thursday! :D

Mark

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
The kit should come with several "RFI" filters. Make sure you install those where they tell you too. There is a lot of interference generated on the Wing and these keep it out of the system for clear and crisp transmission and reception. Take your time and put the cables where they tell you to and you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Sounds like a really good deal. Be sure to take DreamWeaver's advice. That can be critical. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
I don't have one , but I can only imagine it will add another nice dimension to the riding experience. Now you can be either a lead captain or tail gunner. No more just stuck in the middle on the SCRC rides.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
A savings of $260 is great. I miss the cb that came with my 98 GL1500SE. I've thought about one for the 1800, but like you, the price always kept me from buying. Let us know how the install goes and how it works. OH, by the way, does the wife get her own mic????

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
OH, by the way, does the wife get her own mic????
Charlie. You raise an interesting point. I took my first ride with the wife and our Scala headsets. Sure, we could talk to each other, but I can also hear her voice outside the helmet. With that little delay time between the spoken words and the words heard through my speakers it almost borders on a echo. Mz. Vickie and I have to work on our communication skills.

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kit should come with several "RFI" filters. Make sure you install those where they tell you too. There is a lot of interference generated on the Wing and these keep it out of the system for clear and crisp transmission and reception. Take your time and put the cables where they tell you to and you will be fine.
Thankyou sir.....I intend to do exactly what you suggest!

Sounds like a really good deal. Be sure to take DreamWeaver's advice. That can be critical. Good Luck.
Thanks.....

I don't have one , but I can only imagine it will add another nice dimension to the riding experience. Now you can be either a lead captain or tail gunner. No more just stuck in the middle on the SCRC rides.
Lee,
I never thought I'd get one....but I was thinking of getting the MP3 CB ....but this ends up cheaper with the antenna. So I pulled the plug & pulled the cork outta my tight butt....:eek:

A savings of $260 is great. I miss the cb that came with my 98 GL1500SE. I've thought about one for the 1800, but like you, the price always kept me from buying. Let us know how the install goes and how it works. OH, by the way, does the wife get her own mic????
Charlie,

I'm thinking of getting her the push to talk cord, but she's not so sure she wants it yet. We shall see....

I will keep ya'll posted on the install.

Mark

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I saw a great deal for the CB & Antenna kit shipped to my door for $640.00. I decided to go ahead & spend the money. I tried to go the Wing Stuff & Direct Line route, but this was the most economical way. All new & Honda Genuine parts. Considering my local dealer wants over $900.00 for this same set up....I'm very happy!

I found it on e-bay from Shawnee Honda a big dealer in Oklahoma. Actually spoke to the parts guy & he was very helpful!

I should have it by next Thursday! :D

Mark

FYI, if you want to reconsider and return the Honda CB for something that performs much better and is more versatile:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BMP-GL2WAY
along with:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BMP-HGW-IPD-V03
and one of these for whichever year Wing you have:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=443

Yes, the Honda CB comes w/3 filters. However, If you keep and install this radio, I suggest you try it out before installing the filters. I have had several I've done that did not require these filters! More didn't than did.
If you decide to return it and opt for GL2way, the 3 filters are not required for any bike using that system.
One last suggestion, make sure you check and tune the SWR for whichever radio/antenna combination you end up installing.

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, if you want to reconsider and return the Honda CB for something that performs much better and is more versatile:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BMP-GL2WAY
along with:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BMP-HGW-IPD-V03
and one of these for whichever year Wing you have:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=443

Yes, the Honda CB comes w/3 filters. However, If you keep and install this radio, I suggest you try it out before installing the filters. I have had several I've done that did not require these filters! More didn't than did.
If you decide to return it and opt for GL2way, the 3 filters are not required for any bike using that system.
One last suggestion, make sure you check and tune the SWR for whichever radio/antenna combination you end up installing.
Thanks for the info.....it is appreciated.....I did look into the GL 2way & the Honda one over all is cheaper... I already have Pete's MP3 player & to be honest I hardly ever use it. I use my XM more.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting!
You quoted $640.00 for the Honda CB/antenna
The GL2way w/antenna is
GL2WAY Advanced CB System MRP: $549.99 Your Price: $498.99
Sierra antenna is $100
Total is 598.99
Yes interesting indeed....however I did not see the Sierra's price. I only found prices elsewhere. But I thank you for pointing that out & I prefer to stay with the HONDALINE for $41.01 more.

Again thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That was a direct price from Pete @ Bikemp3 along w/the Sierra antenna.
I was thinking of the additional devices that can be added to it.
I have had no problems from my Honda CB and use it often.
I do have an SWR meter and the jumpers needed. PM me if you want to use them. I only ask for the postage to send it to you. No need to spend another 40 or 50 just to set the SWR once! Also, you friends can check theirs while you have it.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I don't have one either, but I'm toying with the idea. I'm just not sure if I would use it often enough to justify the cost. Seems like most of the folks I ride with on a regular basis don't have a CB, and my wife and I use the Scala when we ride two up. Any comments from other forum members on how often you use yours?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I don't have one either, but I'm toying with the idea. I'm just not sure if I would use it often enough to justify the cost. Seems like most of the folks I ride with on a regular basis don't have a CB, and my wife and I use the Scala when we ride two up. Any comments from other forum members on how often you use yours?
Every time my CMA chapter does a ride. Was the Road Captain, now act as the tail-gunner.
Also when on the Interstate especially on long trips. Mostly listening for traffic problems that I need to exit to skirt around.
Sitting in the hot sun in a traffic jam on the interstate for hours just one time will sell you on the virtues of having a CB. I'm on a trike, not easy to cut the median on, as it was when I was on 2!

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was a direct price from Pete @ Bikemp3 along w/the Sierra antenna.
I was thinking of the additional devices that can be added to it.
I have had no problems from my Honda CB and use it often.
I do have an SWR meter and the jumpers needed. PM me if you want to use them. I only ask for the postage to send it to you. No need to spend another 40 or 50 just to set the SWR once! Also, you friends can check theirs while you have it.

Dawg,

Thanks for the kind offer. That's very nice of you!

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Update-CB Install

The CB arrived Friday afternoon. I decided NOT to take a nap after working since 02:00 & tear down the wing instead.

Saturday was a busy day....did the family thing till 12:30pm came home had a sandwich & went to work on the Wing. I forgot what a PAIN IN THE A$$ doing the air filter was, but I figured I'd better get to it while I had the top shelter off.
I installed the antenna without a hitch, for those who have the Kury Pass. arm rests the bolts that come with the antenna will be too short....thank goodness I had 2 longer bolts in my bolt junk drawer. As for the routing of the antenna wire....the instructions say to route the wire through the rear speaker storage box.....I did not do that....I routed it directly through the trunk to the CB storage area & the wire is hidden well.

As for the CB install no problems, I installed all the filters as well.I hooked everything back up that needed to be hooked up to test the CB & woohoo it all worked! I reinstalled all the tupperware (I did forget to put a towel in the glove box hole & dropped a fastener down into the abyss never to be seen again) Buttoned up & done by 17:00. Not to shabby!
For those who are not mechanically inclined I would not attempt this. I am just curious though what the dealers charge for the install?? anyone??

Mark

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Mark, we charge 4 hours labour to install the CB unless it's at the time of sale, then we include it in the sale of the bike (obviously they have to purchase the CB from us as well). 4 hours may seem alot, but I won't allow a tech to rush with any install on a Wing. I also don't take them back into the shop during the process, not only is it an insurance issue, but sometimes you just don't want a client looking at their scoot all in pieces. Mechanics don't like being watched either.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
One of the major reasons for bumping up to my GL1500 is for the intercom and CB. The guys I ride with mostly love to joke around or talk safety issues on the road communicate together while riding. We do not spend the whole time yapping, just the odd time.

·
Premium Member
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mark, we charge 4 hours labour to install the CB unless it's at the time of sale, then we include it in the sale of the bike (obviously they have to purchase the CB from us as well). 4 hours may seem alot, but I won't allow a tech to rush with any install on a Wing. I also don't take them back into the shop during the process, not only is it an insurance issue, but sometimes you just don't want a client looking at their scoot all in pieces. Mechanics don't like being watched either.
Budoka,

4 hours I say is fair for a CB install, it IS alot of work. I think my shop here charges $85.00 an hour !(American) which amounts to $340.00. I prefer to do the work myself, & save the money for other farkels.

Thanks for the info,

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Will, I have a Scala too but am thinking about getting a J&M headset as I have a CB on my bike. Not sure why i need this over the Scala though? Have a buddy here in Tyler that has an 1800 and a CB and he uses his particularly on GWRRA rides. Perhaps others might chime in and share the virtues of their CB over other kinds of rider communications.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts