Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I over tightened the nut on the top of the radiator and the thread sheared off. I'm pretty sure this is a piece attached directly to the frame. I've got 3 of 4 mounts fastened so I think I should be fine. The radiator can also just sit on the mount without the nut being able to go on. In the long run though I'd like to fix it. Will I need to weld a new peice on or does anyone have any other ideas for fitting a bracket or something on here?

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a bolt though. I believe those threads are welded directly to the frame. I just had a nut/cap to hold the radiator in place that screwed onto those threads.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If it a welded stud, you can remove the radiator and cut the old stud off and have a new one welded on.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I would first obtain a replacement stud or use a similar bolt to create a stud, then as Barry said, weld it on and fix it right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah crap. I think that's one thing I can't do myself... I guess I'll have to find someone who can weld.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Maybe you can cut off the stud drill a hole and install a blind rivet nut, it should work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'll look into that too. I probably won't take a closer look at it until I need to take the radiator out again since it seems secure as it is.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just saw a video showing how to drill the old stud out. It's almost impossible to drill the broken stud out and stay in the center of the stud. Using a hinge centering bit will allow you to center the drill bit. By doing it this way you may be able to tap new threads and use a slightly larger bolt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts