Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1997 GL1500 aspencade and everything seemed fine on the test ride but after taking it out today for the first time I noticed that once I get past 70mph the bike starts to snake walk. My first thought was someone mix matched radial and bias tires but it looks like the tires are almost new shinko radials. I'm kind of thinking it might be steering stem bearings. But this being my first goldwing I'm not sure how they are supposed to feel but i'm sure that the snaking isn't normal. If someone knows what it could be or what common things might lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "snake walk."

Just because the tires look new does not mean they are not bad. What preload are you running on the suspension? What are the tire air pressures? What date code is on the tires? Many people do not like Shinkos (some do). Many people do not like radials on the GL1500 (some do). Many people like to run air pressures on the high side (some don't).

I would place on the center stand and check for any looseness in the rear wheel/swingarm/suspension. Spin the tire and look for runout or out of round. Then jack the front up and do the same. Also check for any notch or hitch as you move the steering left to right. Check for leaky fork seals.

BTW, I never had a problem with radials and even mixing radial and bias ply. Not the same as a car.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Being Shinkos, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a tire with cords separating.

Reactions: herbie77

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick replies!! I feel stupid, I was getting the bike ready to ride, changing the engine oil and filter, and changing the final drive oil and checking stuff for being loose and not once did it occur to me to check the tire pressure. The front tire had 10lbs of air and the rear had 18lbs. I inflated to 35lbs rear and 33lbs front and lo and behold alls good in herbies world!😃

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
I wondered about that, but my experience with low tires is more of a wallowing at low speeds.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Thank you for the quick replies!! I feel stupid, I was getting the bike ready to ride, changing the engine oil and filter, and changing the final drive oil and checking stuff for being loose and not once did it occur to me to check the tire pressure. The front tire had 10lbs of air and the rear had 18lbs. I inflated to 35lbs rear and 33lbs front and lo and behold alls good in herbies world!😃
we have all had to put on the pointed hat a time or two

·
Registered
392 Posts
Still don't know what a snake walk is but happy you made it go away. Try the front a little higher and see if it gets even better.

Reactions: herbie77

·
Administrator
15,830 Posts
Glad you got that sorted out. I had a low rear tire once that made the bike do weird things in the curves. Low pressure can get you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently acquired a 1997 GL1500 aspencade and everything seemed fine on the test ride but after taking it out today for the first time I noticed that once I get past 70mph the bike starts to snake walk. My first thought was someone mix matched radial and bias tires but it looks like the tires are almost new shinko radials. I'm kind of thinking it might be steering stem bearings. But this being my first goldwing I'm not sure how they are supposed to feel but i'm sure that the snaking isn't normal. If someone knows what it could be or what common things might lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks
Usually that will be low tire pressure. You should always keep the tires at the pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire. Are you sure they are radios. If they are there will be an R on the tire next to the size. Also, radials should not be used on the GL1500. It is not designed for it. Tire manufacturers tried to make a radial for that bike in the past and it was a failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have never heard of these tires. After 1.5 Million miles, I'd be reluctant to use a tire that is not one of the big brand names.
Your first hospital bill will be more than the cost of tires for the next 10 years.
First change the tires even if they look great. Go with Honda's recommendation, I believe that for the 1500 they always had Dunlops. You can't go really wrong with Dunlops or Bridgestone.
Safety first my friend...

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing gl1800 2007 Trike with Lehmans Monarch 2 kit
8 Posts
Hello it could be the triple tree bearings, wheel bearings, or worp tire or unbalanced tire. That year I would change the triple tree bearings to be sure...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Usually that will be low tire pressure. You should always keep the tires at the pressure stated on the sidewall of the tire. Are you sure they are radios. If they are there will be an R on the tire next to the size. Also, radials should not be used on the GL1500. It is not designed for it. Tire manufacturers tried to make a radial for that bike in the past and it was a failure.
They are both radial tires and I didn't know about the 1500 coming with bias tires that kind of blows my mind. I will have to look it this a little more, Thanks

I have never heard of these tires. After 1.5 Million miles, I'd be reluctant to use a tire that is not one of the big brand names.
Your first hospital bill will be more than the cost of tires for the next 10 years.
First change the tires even if they look great. Go with Honda's recommendation, I believe that for the 1500 they always had Dunlops. You can't go really wrong with Dunlops or Bridgestone.
Safety first my friend...
Shinko purchased tire making molds from Yokohama I believe. I have used Shinko tires in the past and they were good tires. Now for a bike this heavy I'm not sure but when I search for GL1500 tires the Shinko radials comes up. I need to research more. My tires are SE890 shinko made in Korea

Hello it could be the triple tree bearings, wheel bearings, or worp tire or unbalanced tire. That year I would change the triple tree bearings to be sure...
Thanks, but airing up the tires to the correct air pressure fixed my problem

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing Tour
35 Posts
Try 35 front and 40 - 42 rear... Will probably be even better...

·
Registered
96 goldwing se
2 Posts
I had that kind of snake walk thing and mine was a combo of tire pressure and fork seal also my air ride wasn't working properly. Changed everything and rides awesome. I use Dunlop elites and they are an awesome tire for me
I ride loaded and sometimes with trailer. Mines a 96 SE 🏍👍😉😎

·
Registered
5 Posts
a low pressure should generally not create a problem that you described. I like a bit lower b/c it gives better friction. On the race track (I know, we don't race wings...) we significantly lower it and it's not a problem of stability, on the contrary, it adds safety (to a degree of lower and then it's not). It might be more to it. There were some good posts here about bearings check, I'd take the next step and not rely on Tylenol curing my pain for cancer. Do us a favor, and check it: center stand and see if the front fork is loose by trying to play back and forth with the front wheel. If it's too free, or you here clicks, take it to an expert. Enjoy your ride, good luck, and welcome to the fantastic world of goldwing...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had that kind of snake walk thing and mine was a combo of tire pressure and fork seal also my air ride wasn't working properly. Changed everything and rides awesome. I use Dunlop elites and they are an awesome tire for me
I ride loaded and sometimes with trailer. Mines a 96 SE 🏍👍😉😎
I hope the seals are good, no signs of leakage but it could be out of oil for all I know :confused: I'm new to goldwing life so I know nothing about the air ride or how to set it

a low pressure should generally not create a problem that you described. I like a bit lower b/c it gives better friction. On the race track (I know, we don't race wings...) we significantly lower it and it's not a problem of stability, on the contrary, it adds safety (to a degree of lower and then it's not). It might be more to it. There were some good posts here about bearings check, I'd take the next step and not rely on Tylenol curing my pain for cancer. Do us a favor, and check it: center stand and see if the front fork is loose by trying to play back and forth with the front wheel. If it's too free, or you here clicks, take it to an expert. Enjoy your ride, good luck, and welcome to the fantastic world of goldwing...
Thank you for your advice. I have changed steering stem bearings before and the hardest part is getting to them. I didn't notice any problems as you describe, I need to lift the front wheel off the ground to give it a good check. I'm going to check front and rear wheel bearings just to make sure. I may go ahead and replace them as they don't cost much to do. I like working on bikes, it's half the fun of ownership for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts